African Development Bank (AfDB) established to strengthen dialogue between the Bank and the Government, is recruiting to fill the below position:
Job Title: Gender Officer – OWAS.2
Position N°: 50066329
- With its Ten Years Strategy (TYS) for 2013-2022, the Bank has positioned itself as a partner of choice to support Africa in its development.
- The Bank has taken the leadership in infrastructure (NEPAD Infrastructure Program, Infrastructure Consortium for Africa) and is carrying out a number of initiatives in the Water Sector through its Water and Sanitation Department namely, the Rural Water and Sanitation Initiative (RWSSI) and the Multi-donor Water Partnership program (MDWPP).
- Since 2005, the African Development Bank is the trustee for the African Water Facility Special Fund (AWF).
- The AWF aims at supporting the implementation of the Africa Water Vision and the Framework for Action for 2025 adopted at the 2000 World Water Forum in The Hague.
- The objective of the African Water Facility is to:
- Help reduce poverty and promote sustainable development by expanding Africa’s access to financial resources for the water and sanitation sector;
- Attract massive, appropriate and strategic investments and also for the development and management of sustainable water resources; and
- Strengthen enabling environment for water management to generate more investments.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the incumbent will:
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender issues at all stages of the project cycle, from planning through evaluation;
- Collaborate with other staff in the Department to ensure the incorporation of gender issues in its work;
- Participate in Working Groups and Peer Review to ensure that projects documents prepared by the Department adequately address gender issues;
- Participate in operational missions and the drafting of project documents in order to promote the implementation of the Bank’s gender policy, ensure that women are consulted and enhance the level of gender analysis of program/project;
- Support the inclusion of gender in all program/project activities especially gender balance in project staff teams, training, and beneficiaries;
- Assess the potential gender impact of proposed projects; conduct or draft Terms of Reference for gender assessments and analysis and propose mitigating measures as required;
- Work with Task Managers to develop innovative approaches to women in development (WID) stand-alone projects and projects with gender components;
- Assist in developing indicators to monitor the gender impact of Bank supported projects;
- Review on-going projects with regard to gender impact and propose remedial measures as appropriate;
- Collect and make available to Regional Departments (RD) staff gender-disaggregated data and other gender-related information on each of these countries (for example in the form of country-level “Gender Profiles”);
- Liaise with key gender-related NGOs, multilateral organizations and national institutions in countries served by the RD for purposes of information-sharing, networking and operational collaboration;
- Initiate specific studies related to gender and development for the purpose of project formulation, supervision and post evaluation;
- Ensure that Project Completion Reports specifically identify gender gaps and reflect gender related project success and learning experience;
- Prepare and submit yearly reports on progress made in mainstreaming gender issues into the Bank’s operations;
- Coordinate with Special Envoy on Gender Office and Gender and Social Monitoring Division on issues related to gender policy, capacity building and interagency collaboration;
- Contribute to research and studies relevant to gender policy development and implementation and/or contribute to gender sensitization and skill building activities.
- Follow-up on the implementation of the Bank’s Gender Strategy at the level of the water and sanitation projects
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree in Gender studies, economics, rural development, social development, social studies or related areas;
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in Gender analysis, research and advocacy skills, conducting gender impact assessments and/or designing/implementing gender and development projects;
- Demonstrable understanding of regional social issues, analysis and policy formulation; knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries is a must.
- Ability to work independently and be creative and innovative;
- Integrity and ability to work in teams;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, and preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
Application Closing Date
28th October, 2015.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online