Concern Universal Nigeria is the Executing Agency (EA) for the WSSCC’s Global Sanitation Fund (GSF) programme in Nigeria. The aim of the programme is to significantly increase sanitation coverage and attain a positive and sustained hygiene behavioural change in six Local Government Areas ( LGAs), three in each of the two participating states (Benue and Cross River State). This programme will present a model towards state wide coverage for sanitation that can be marketed and replicated in other states.
Concern Universal Nigeria is seeking experienced candidates to support the implementation of this programme under this category
Job Title: Project Support Officers (Local Government Technical Support) X 6
Location: Based in Bekwarra, Obanliku, Abi LGAs of Cross River State, and Gwer. Agatu, Logo of Benue State, with inter LGA travel required.
Responsible to: Project Officer (State Technical Officer)
Start Date: 1st February 2013
Relationships with others: Will work closely with other CU Nigeria members of staff, Implementing Partners and organisations, Government Agencies and other stakeholders as necessary and appropriate.
- Concern Universal Nigeria seeks the services of experienced candidate(s) to support with the implementation of the Global Sanitation Fund programme in Nigeria in the selected States Benue and Cross River, with particular focus on sustainable service delivery in the LGA-wide Community Led Total Sanitation.
- The Candidate will specifically support the Sub-grantees at LGA and community levels with a view to improve sanitation coverage and hygiene behaviour through a demand-led process, empowering Sub-grantees to deliver on the Global Sanitation Fund programme objectives and CLTS roll out in Nigeria.
- A significant level of effort will be rendered in State and in addition more work is required at LGA and community levels by sub-grantees, to cover all operational systems. Executing this function will mean extensive travel to community; however this will be managed through consultation with the State Technical Support Officers.
- Liaise/Co-ordinate with and between all bodies and institutions involved in the GSF Programme activities at the LGA level, particularly LGA WASH, other Sub-grantees like CSOs, NYSC volunteers, and ensure the effective implementation of activities for the attainment of the GSF Programme results.
- Participate in regular meetings with key stakeholders at the LGA and community levels, especially involving them to ensure a common understanding of the programme along with its requirements towards securing their full commitment to the programme activities.
- Work closely with State Technical Support Officers on the programme, WASH structures in the LGA level towards identification of capacity building needs for effective delivery of the CLTS intervention towards ODF in all communities. Assist in efforts to build a resource pool of trained personnel in CLTS triggering, hygiene promotion, appropriate technology support, and monitoring & evaluation.
- Support the State Technical Support Officer to review the LGA Level WASH sectoral plans and budgets and assist in the formulation of strategies, plans and budgets to achieve Total Sanitation and the subsequent deployment of resources (funds and people) in the programme LGA.
- Provide technical inputs in the preparation/design of surveys, studies and play an active role in data collection, dissemination of findings under the programme among various LGA stakeholders to increase their understanding of sectoral issues and emerging approaches and thereby facilitate scaling up of successful approaches to non-programme LGAs.
- Provide regular supportive supervision and monitoring of the programme activities in the LGAs of sub-grantees against agreed plans, targets, and technical design, specifications and standards.
- Conduct field visits to monitor progress and quality of implementation of sanitation facilities (latrines, urinals, hand washing facilities) constructed by communities. Support physical verification (by independent state verification team or third party) of completed facilities to ensure that quality of construction is conformed to agreed designs and specifications before certification and payment to the contractors.
- Liaise closely with other key stakeholders in the participating LGAs and ensure synergies in the area of development of sector wide plans, coordination, scaling up/replication of Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS), WASH interventions, WASH in Schools, Capacity building, Citizen’s Voice and Accountability and M&E amongst others.
- Provide weekly updates and monthly reports as per approved format summarising progress made in implementation of activities, lessons learnt and recommendations for improvement including ad hoc reports and human interest stories that may be needed. In addition, contribute to updating log-frame and result matrix for programme level indicators on a quarterly basis with more detailed inputs provided towards the preparation of mid-year and annual reports are to be submitted separately.
- At least a diploma in Public Health, Sanitation Engineering, Sociology, Rural Development or field related to WASH.
- 2-3 years’ relevant experience in successfully managing developing projects, including experience of grant management and reporting.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in Community Led Total Sanitation programming
- Proven track record of capacity building/training for stakeholders including community level and local institutions.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of community based approaches to development.
- Excellent planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills.
- Excellent communication and team-working skills
- Proficient skills in the use of MS Office tools
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2012
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit completed application form to: [email protected].
- CVs will not be acknowledged or accepted.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for panel interviews. All applications should be submitted before 4pm of the closing date.
- Candidates should indicate the state where they want to work