Guinness Nigeria Plc (GNPLC)
is one of the largest listed companies in Nigeria. It produces markets and sells alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in Nigeria. It is a subsidiary of Diageo Plc, the global alcoholic drinks company.
Job Title: Distributor Development Manager
Type of Job: Full Time
Level: Level 5 (M2)
Reports To: Regional Distributor Manager
Guinness Nigeria PLC is a major market for Diageo. A key contributor to the success of the GNPLC strategic plan is an effective Route to Consumer for GNPLC Brands, both On and Off Trade via the provision of vehicles to Distributors in the Retail Redistribution Scheme and capability development of Distributors
Responsible for identifying Capex Budget for Distributor development required nationally.
Support Opex management
Reports to the Regional Distributor Manager. Responsible for the development of distributor infrastructure and capability. Currently there are 300 distributors at various levels of capability.
Purpose of Role:
The Distributor Development Manager has accountability for developing and sustaining amazing value adding business relationships with our key distributors. They develop and drive our joint strategy and plans with distributors, have direct performance and P&L responsibility and a strong focus on working with distributors to develop the capability within their organisations. DDM is also accountable for leading a RTM Executive team and develop and drive our strategy and plans with Wholesalers/Stockists. These roles operate at the market, cluster or region level depending on the size and complexity of both the market and the distributor.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the development, tracking, deployment of distributor infrastructure. Ensure all conditions in place locally to make warehousing development, forklifts capability, other supply chain and warehouse management principles are applied at distributors.
- Responsible for training and structured coaching of distributor and GN staff on distributor development initiatives like VMI, WMS, distributor IT infrastructure and other RtC initiatives. Wide influencing needed.
- Collate local reporting and identify main priorities for improvement by the Divisional teams. Must ensure that distributor operations are in line with agreed Distributor Standard Operating System and tracked through agreed dashboard.
- Support distributor to develop Annual Business Plan, P&L and ensuring optimal financial health of distributor.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- A strong track record in Sales at a management level ideally with experience in at least two areas of Sales including customer or distributor facing roles.
- A good understanding of all Diageo Way of Selling Capabilities and all elements of the Platform for Growth programme with the ability to work with distributors to apply these. Particularly important is Distributor Management, JUBP (Joined Up Business Plan), Targeted Trade Investment and Customer/Channel Profitability.
- Previous experience of managing/leading teams either directly or indirectly and a strong track record as a coach. Able to set a vision and inspire our distributor partners.
- Good commercial understanding, P&L literacy, strong numerical and analytical skills, a high level of computer literacy and competent experience of financial/data interpretation
- Experience of working within and or with other functions and a track record of delivering results through cross functional teams, particularly marketing, supply and corporate relations is critical.
- Supported by a business orientated professional or academic qualification
- Previous experience of distributor management a distinct advantage
- High degree of presentation and coaching skills
- Good PC skills.
Barriers to Success in Role:
- Unwilling or unable to travel and accompany staff in field – the role is 65%+ field based
- Poor communication skills
- Poor training and coaching abilities
- Lack of data appreciation and use
Flexible working options:
- Based in the divisions
- Will sometimes be required to work late into the night