Human Capacity Development Consultants (HCDC) Limited is a vibrant and innovative company committed to the goal of developing human capital in organisations for exceptional business results. We build organisations to achieve optimum performance by developing their human capacity to peak productivity levels.
Job Title: General Manager (Farm)
The General Manager is the key figurehead for the farm providing leadership to both staff and volunteers and ensuring financial stability. Also responsibility for the management, maintenance and development of the Farm, further building its profile in the City and beyond.
- Provide leadership to managers and staff.
- Oversee operations to ensure production efficiency, quality, services and cost effective management of resources.
- Manage overall day to day operations and supervision of unit managers focused primarily on optimal livestock nutrition
- Meet production targets and strive to lower the cost of production.
Main duties and responsibilities:
KPI: Develop short to medium term business plans, in conjunction with the General Manager
Objective: Implement business plans
- Accept, support, and promote the business farming strategies, goals and policies relevant to improvement in farming systems.
- Assist in the preparation of annual operations plans and budgets
- Implement and manage operations plans and budgets.
- Assist in updating the production plan and report on a timely basis as to the key performance indicators
KPI: Provide leadership and role modelling for unit managers and staff.
Objective: Display good leadership
- Enlist the aid and support of others for the accomplishment common goals
- Encourage the participation of unit managers and staff in decision making
- Effectively communicate decisions and plans
- To adhere to the Farm Business Plan, in particular the operation plan, ensuring targets are met.
- Responsible for the supervision and support of core Farm staff, including managing staff records, sickness and leave.
- In conjunction with Management, identify training for both staff and volunteers and arrange appropriate training.
- Organise and lead monthly staff meetings to ensure staff are fully briefed on current farm policy matters, and that they are kept up to date on all current projects.
- Work closely with management to ensure effective relationship between the management committee and Farm staff.
KPI: Ensure operational budgets are utilised effectively
Objectives: Achieve production performance targets for the Farms as per approved budget
- Assist in the development of budgets and cost planning for the farms.
- Stay within expenditure delegations and purchase procedures
- Assist in reviews of budgets and targets as required
- Ensure continual cost effective and efficient use of all resources.
- Lead the development and implementation of a marketing and communication strategy for the Farm.
- Work with the fundraising consultant to help develop a strategy for the Farm that will generate income for the farm without compromising its charitable objectives.
- Work alongside the treasurer to ensure both annual and project budgets are prepared, and to ensure financial procedures are maintained. This to include invoicing, responsibility for monitoring and managing budgets
- Work with the fundraising consultant and staff in the preparation and co-ordination of funding applications.
Human Resource Capabilities:
KPI: To assist in the improvement of capability and quality of the Farms employees
Objective: Attract, recruit, lead and train quality staff
- Encourage and assist in the continuous training and upskilling of all staff.
- Plan work loads and staff resources.
- Take responsibility and accountability for farm staff under your control
- Evaluate and make recommendations for staff in accordance with policies and procedures
- Maintain clear communication with all staff and management
Health & Safety
KPI: Health and safety systems are practiced by all staff, visitors, contractors etc.
Objective: Implement and maintain systems to support the adherence to H&S requirements
- Strictly adhere to all policies and statutes regarding health and safety.
- Lead by example to support health & safety meetings, hazard identification, operational inspections, and completion of accident/incident report forms.
- Ensure site health & safety inductions are conducted and file documentation is completed and filed.
- Ensure accident/incident report forms are completed accurately as per policy.
- Investigate causes and implement controls for any non-serious harm accidents and /or near misses.
- Ensure actions from accidents/incidents are followed through.
Assets Management, maintenance and development
KPI: Manage the land and commercial production of livestock and pastoral finishing objectives in accordance with the overall operational plan.
- Ensure operational plans for crop reproduction.
- Manage the farms to improve sustainable performance and productivity.
- Ensure farm assets are maintained and prepare an overall farm resource maintenance plan and budget
- Provide detailed planning, input and status reporting on all aspects of farm area management under your control.
- Feedback information to management regarding land degradation, erosion, damage etc
- Ensure that noxious weeds and pests are controlled in accordance with company objectives
- Maintain complete and accurate records on the status of assets on hand
- Report to Management on all aspects of the operation and future development of the Farm.
- With the assistance of the office support worker, complete administration tasks, record keeping and reports as necessary.
- To be responsible for the supervision and support of core Farm staff, including managing staff records, sickness and leave.
- Organise events in co-ordination with the staff team.
- Maintain and develop links with both individuals and organisations relevant to the Farm, including publicity material and liaising with the media.
- Work within and promote the aims and objectives of the Farm across the city and beyond.
- Ensure Farm’s policies are adhered to and kept updated
- Deliver high quality engagement with the local community.
- Any other duties commensurate with the responsibilities of this post as may be directed by Management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below