Solidarites International (SI) has not been active in Nigeria in the past and therefore has a limited experience in the country. SI sent a first exploratory team in Nigeria (North-Eastern States) for three weeks in April. A continued presence of senior managers has been maintained since mid-May in Borno state and Abuja. Additionally, SI registration in Nigeria is ongoing with the help of a local lawyer.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Coordinator
Organization of the Mission
- Nigeria mission is currently stabilizing the opening process. The coordination is composed of a head of mission, a program coordinator, a logistics coordinator, an administrative coordinator, and now a field coordinator for the Maiduguri base. The coordination is expected to spend a consequent amount of time in Maiduguri, in direct support of field based operations. Therefore, the mission has a coordination team based in between Abuja and Maiduguri, which includes a Head of Mission, an Administrative coordinator a Logistic Coordinator and a Program coordinator.
- Operations are to be based in Maiduguri, Monguno and other relevant LGAs. In Maiduguri the team is composed of a Wash project manager, a Wash activity manager, a logistician and an administrator.
- The Monguno sub-base is composed of an activity manager supported solely by a Log/Admin assistant recruited as national staff. The base administrator is expected therefore to travel from time to time to Monguno to provide support to the sub-base.
- A substantial expansion of the base staffing is more than likely before the end of the year.
About the Job
- The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Head of Mission for a region of a country in which Solidarités International intervenes.
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with Solidarités International’s charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
- He/she is the Head of Mission’s direct contact and representative.
- He/she will be directly managed by the head of mission. He/she will directly manage the head of departments on his/her base (Wash Program Manager, Logistician and Administrator).
Specific Objectives of the position within the period:
- Following the recent and strong positioning of SI in Maiduguri and Monguno, Nigeria mission is opening a new position of Field Coordinator for Borno State, taking all Borno-related operational and access considerations over SI current Nigeria Head of Mission.
- The Field Coordinator will first be in charge of analyzing the everchanging military and socio-political context in Borno State, along with critical gaps in the emergency humanitarian response. He/She will be able to develop an extensive information network and a reactive humanitarian data collection system will be requested, supported in that by a team of senior national collaborators and by the Head of Mission.
- He/she will supervise the overall SI operations in all Borno LGAs, including program and support teams, with a security and access framing mindset. He/She will notably be in charge of prioritizing emergency deployments, in close coordination with the Head of Mission and the Program Coordinator.
- The Field Coordinator will also be a key component of SI coordination team and a close collaborator of the Head of Mission in the design of the mission strategic lines.
- An outstanding ability to manage heavy workload and constant operational stress is required for this highly challenging position.
- SI is looking for an emergency-focused, proactive and intuitive collaborator able to lead life-saving operations in highly insecure environments.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in International Relations, International Development, Humanitarian Studies, Logistics, Business, Management, or other related sectors.
- 4 to 6 years of professional experience, including 2 to 3 years minimum in the humanitarian environment.
- 2 years of experience as Field Coordinator, Program Coordinator or Emergency Coordinator.
- 2 years of experience in conflict and post-conflict contexts.
- Previous experience in insecure and access-hindered environment required.
- Ability to collect, manage and filter extensive amounts of information in real time
- Ability to develop quick and intuitive analysis
- Capacity to provide clear and well documented strategies
- Demonstrated networking capacity, including with national key stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to evolve in very fast paced environments and insecure contexts
- Strong synthesis and information dissemination skills
- Capacity to manage a multi-technical team.
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Haoussa is an advantage.
- Good knowledge in MS Office package: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power point, Microsoft Outlook.
- Knowledge of basic GIS desirable.
SI’s conditions for this position include:
- A salaried fixed term contract, with a gross salary, which, according to your experience, starts from 2000 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly.
- A Per Diem of 750 USD.
- Housing on the field will be managed and covered by SI, in a compound with guesthouse and office.
- Social and medical coverage: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarités). He/she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below