Posted on :
24 Jun, 2011
24 Jun, 2011
The Africa Poverty Reduction and Economic Management Group (AFR PREM) plays a key role in implementing the recently published Africa Region Strategy which identifies governance and public sector capacity as the foundational challenge for growth and development in the region.
AFR PREM has particularly significant responsibilities in strengthening efforts to build sustainable and effective institutions that can help bring about shared growth and poverty reduction in the countries of the region. The Africa Public Sector Reform and Governance Unit (AFTPR) is part of AFR PREM and is the focal point for efforts to strengthen public sector management and governance across all the countries in the Africa region, including in the fragile and conflict affected states.
JOB TITLE: Lead Public Sector Governance Specialist and Cluster Leader
JOB FAMILY: Public Sector Management
LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
APPOINTMENT: International Hire
CLOSING DATE: 05-Jul-2011
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: English [Essential]
BACKGROUND / GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Anglophone West Africa, including Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. In addition, as part of a broad effort to support improved governance in Africa, AFTPR has undertaken analytical work on political economy of sectors, including natural resource management, to better understand the interests and incentives of key political actors that may influence the prospects for governance and policy reforms. In line with the Africa strategy, the unit also supports demand-side initiatives to enhance citizen-centered governance and social accountability.
AFTPR is looking to recruit a dynamic and problem-solving Lead Public Sector/Governance Specialist and Cluster Leader to be based in Abuja, Nigeria to lead the World Bank’s governance and public sector management program in the following countries: Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
The selected candidate will be based in the World Bank’s Country Office as part of the PREM team for a period of at least three years and will have an important leadership role in advising Country Management units on implementing the Africa Region Strategy including on the design of Country Assistance Strategies. Working closely with the Lead Economist(s), she/he will mentor the AFTPR staff of GF and GG level public sector and governance specialists and lead the governance and public sector reform program, working directly with key government and non-government entities and coordinating with other development partners. As cluster leader, the candidate will ensure close collaboration with staff in the Human Development and Sustainable Development Networks and will foster multi-sector approaches to addressing systemic constraints in countries to public service delivery and effective management across sectors.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The selected candidate will report to the Sector Manager (SM), AFTPR, and will be expected to carry out the following duties:
– In 2-3 countries, directly lead multi-sector teams to deliver the Bank’s analytical, lending, and grant operations pertaining to public sector reform, including political economy and governance diagnostic work.
– Supervise and mentor the staff working on countries within the cluster and ensure effective response and delivery of programs requested by CMUs and the quality of the analytical and lending program.
– Generate and exchange knowledge relating to concepts, techniques and lessons of experience pertaining to governance, public sector reform and capacity building, advise on governance issues for CAS preparation, and facilitate multi-sectoral approaches to governance reforms.
– Lead the preparation (and periodic updating) of concise public sector/governance strategy papers for each of the countries in the cluster, drawing on inputs from relevant country team members.
– Engage with the Country Departments to derive substantive buy-in to the strategy and negotiate the allocation of budgetary resources for the related work program, drawing in the SM into the discussion where necessary. In doing so, the Cluster leader will coordinate closely with the Lead Economist for each country department.
– Assist the SM in supervising the portfolio quality and timeliness of work program deliverables under each cluster by providing oversight, reporting and guidance on major outputs of the unit.
The successful candidate will be a highly seasoned professional with extensive experience working on public sector management, governance and anti-corruption issues in developing countries.
– Advanced degree in public policy and administration, economics, political science, finance, or other related field, with a strong record of peer reviewed publication.
– At least 15 years of relevant experience in public sector reform and capacity building. Work experience in Africa would be preferred and experience in post-conflict countries will be relevant.
– Demonstrated skills and leadership in addressing governance challenges inmultiple sectors and in shaping country strategies. Experience in governance issues related to natural resource management a plus.
– Demonstrated skills and experience in project management.
– Strong interpersonal skills, proven team orientation, ability to multi-task and work across unit boundaries and a solid track record of mentoring junior staff.
– Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive, professional relationships with government counterparts, donors and other stakeholders.
– Excellent writing abilities, persuasive oral communication skills and ability to foster long-term, productive client relationships.
– Fluency in English is required.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.