Mercy Corps, An International Humanitarian Organization is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within ENGINE team in Abuja. We are looking for motivated individuals, who are enthusiastic about the work we do and are looking to work within a dynamic team in the capacity below:
Job Title: Senior Project Officer (Financial Literacy) – Girls Opportunities for Advancing Literacy 2 (GOAL 2)
Location: Kano State – Nigeria
- We are looking for a motivated individual, who is enthusiastic about the work we do and is looking to work within a dynamic team.
- Girls’ Opportunities for Advancing Literacy 2 (GOAL 2) focus on institutionalizing and scaling the successes from GOAL 1, to ensure that Adolescent girls (15-19) across Kano state are better equipped for the school-to-work transition as a result of improved financial literacy, vocational choices and life skills. GOAL 1 successfully identified methods to improve girls’ confidence and knowledge around employment and financial literacy with 1,800 girls in 13 schools. Girls who received counselling and training on financial literacy and work force preparedness improved their confidence in education and entering the workforce. They were also better able to articulate their life goals and manage their money.
- GOAL 2 will scale key activities from phase one across Kano state, with potential to reach up to 253,712 girls in 969 government junior and senior secondary schools. Activities will focus on embedding quality financial literacy education and counselling within key local institutions including the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST), the Kano State Secondary School Management Board (KSSSMB) and the Kano Educational Resource Department (KERD). Mercy Corps’ implementation will take advantage of two key opportunities:
1.) Institutionalizing financial literacy education in Kano offers an opportunity to improve financial independence among girls throughout Nigeria’s most populous state. Achievements with financial literacy in GOAL 1, such as dramatically boosting girls’ savings and improving their financial literacy, means that Kano can take this proven model to scale. In addition, a window of opportunity exists to bring the experiences from Kano to the national stage through collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) as the National Financial Inclusion Strategy is operationalized.
2.) High quality guidance counselling offers girls sound, targeted advice as they navigate the transition to adulthood. As we’ve seen through the “safe space” model tested in GOAL 1 (and elsewhere), trusted adult advisors can improve adolescent girls’ economic, financial and social assets, and expand opportunities for a healthy life.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Project Officer (Financial Literacy) will provide technical support and advocate to relevant government agencies in Kano state to incorporate financial literacy into relevant subjects in schools by making sure that financial literacy is a permanent and routine piece of secondary school curriculum across Kano state.
- This position will focus on institutionalization of financial literacy materials within the Kano education system and building capacity of government agencies to coordinate trainings and offer technical support both during and beyond the implementation of the project.
Essential Job Functions
- Support technical aspects of the project in institutionalizing and delivering financial literacy into secondary education through the support of relevant government staff
- Advocate to the government of Kano state through the ministry of education to roll out Mercy Corps financial literacy training guide in secondary schools
- Support government officials to conduct Training of Trainers (ToT) and capacity strengthening trainings to teachers to deliver financial literacy in schools
- Coordinate links with ministry of education and its agencies to ensure the implementation of activities on time, target and budget
- Identify relevant resources within government, donor organizations, private sector organizations that supports and promote financial literacy teaching in schools
- In collaboration with M&E staff, implement relevant need assessments, data and information collection for on-going project monitoring
- Support in setting up and strengthening government management information system, communication and knowledge management
- Facilitate relationship and coordination with government to ensure that project activities are geared toward institutionalization and sustainability
- Coordinate closely with other GOAL 2 personnel to ensure all objectives of the proposal and activities are met.
- Represent the project at government relevant meetings in the field, in close coordination with the Project Manager
- Collaborate and build relationships with government, NGOs to complement donor funding.
- Reports Directly To: Project Manager
- Works Directly with: Deputy Director Curriculum at KERD, other staff of ministry of education and its agencies, project staff and Mercy Corps gender programs team in the field and at HQ.
- The successful applicant will combine exceptional management skills and technical skills with a focus on successful engagement and support to educational institutions in a culturally and religiously conservative environment.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- This position will be based in Kano, where security may be particularly difficult at times.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in Education, Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies or other relevant field. A relevant second degree desired.
- Expertise in financial literacy, with a preference for candidates that demonstrate experience increasing financial literacy of marginalized girls.
- Experience designing, organizing and/or delivering trainings, ideally to teachers within the public education sector.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in programme design and implementation, education, financial inclusion, gender- focused, skills building program.
- Demonstrated experience working with government ministries officials, Ministry of Education and its agencies, and /Central Bank of Nigeria experience preferred.
- Experience in project sustainability and institutional capacity strengthening
- Experience managing secondary education or school to work and especially targeting marginalized girls required. Prefer expertise in at least one of the following areas: accelerated learning programs, savings group, and financial education.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Hausa language skills strongly preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and coordination skills and a demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Experience in Northern Nigeria strongly essential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- Application must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position
Application Deadline 22nd June, 2016.