UNICEF’s mission in Nigeria is to help governments at all levels, organizations, communities and families provide every child with education, health, equality and protection.
UNICEF Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of:
Post Title: Nutrition Consultant
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-12-2014
Level: National Officer
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA)
Duration: 11 months.
Location: Yobe, Jigawa, Borno, Gombe, Bauchi, Sokoto and Zamfara
Purpose of Assignment:
The Consultant provide technical support in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) and Community Infant and Young Child Feeding (c-IYCF) activities at the state. LGA and community levels including supporting rapid nutrition (SMART) surveys and Maternal Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) week activities.
Major Tasks to be accomplished:
- Support concerned counterpart and partners in documentation of data information from all CMAM implementing facilities (OTPs and SC) as well as facilitate replication of interventions and leveraging government resources.
- Provide support in ensuring effective coordination, networking and information sharing with the state government, International NGOs and stakeholders at state, LGA and community levels to help scale up the management of severe acute malnutrition and community infant and young child feeding (c-IYCF activities) integrated into CMAM.
- Provide support to strengthen the existing nutrition program mainly improving quality and scaling lip of CMAM program coverage and ensure effective operation of systems for community and facility-based management of severe acute malnutrition for children with age of under 5 years.
- Further develop local capacity for supportive supervision, monitoring and evaluation of progress for improved management of severe acute malnutrition programs and ensure monitoring and supportive supervision in collaboration with SNOs is conducted
- Assist in data collection during the rapid nutrition (SMART) surveys with the support from UNICEF field office and Abuja office.
- The consultant will support in preparing and submitting reports including CMAM data as well as updates on c-IYCF and regular statistical and narrative updates/reports as required in line with given time frame (e.g. monthly, quarterly, hall-yearly and annual).
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required:
- University degree in Nutrition or Public Health or Nursing or Biochemistry or related technical areas, minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, preferably in management of acute malnutrition/CMAM program, basic nutrition programming, track records.
- Exposure to implement, monitor and supervise SAM (severe acute malnutrition) and c-IVCF programmes preffered.
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation in general an asset.
- Proficiency in written and oral English language, good communication and networking skills, as well as familiarity with working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Willingness to work in the field with partners for majority of contract
- In-depth understanding of malnutrition and household food security from nutrition/public health point of view.
- Demonstrated skills with statistics analysis software related to data management.
- Ability to understand and speak local language (Hausa) will be preferred.
Application Closing Date
Tuesday, 29April 2014.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (Please Download Here) to: [email protected] by close of business on Tuesday, 29th April 2014.
Please mention the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply