Posted on :
14 Jun, 2010
Oxfam is an international confederation of 14 like-minded organizations working together and with partners and allies around the world to bring about lasting change. We work directly with communities and we seek to influence the powerful to ensure that poor people can improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them. Oxfam recruits Finance Manager to be based in Nigeria
LEVEL: C 1
• To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and human suffering.
• To manage day-to-day finance and administrative operations, providing strategic, cost-effective, and timely support to core programme activities in accordance with Oxfam policy and Nigeria Country Programmes objective
• Postholder reports to: Country Director
• Staff reporting to this post: Finance and IT Staff in the Nigeria Country Programme Office
• Day to day support to CD for financial management of overall country programme budget including donor-funded projects
• Supervise day-to-day financial operations, including implementation of appropriate risk control procedures and ensuring prompt and accurate payments, journal vouchering, People Soft input/review, contracts, reporting and filing
• Assist the Country Director in developing overall Nigeria Office budget using sound projects/cost factors based on experience and analysis and ensuring strategic consideration of overhead and programme costs such as fundraising, public, relations, media, etc. Also coordinate with Nigeria programme and Regional Centre staff donor compliance and management of specific donor funded activities.
COUNTRY MANAGEMENT TEAM
• Contributes to management thinking and decision-making regarding strategic programme direction
OTHER SUPPORT FUNCTIONS
• Assist programme staff in developing budgets for proposals managing and monitoring partner budgets, and providing technical support to partners on Oxfam financial requirements for partner agreements. Also ensures appropriate management of IT systems in support of day-to-day administrative and programme operations.
Strategic Budget Management
• Ensure integration of budgetary considerations in strategic planning including coordination of annual budget formulation exercise, budget development in conjunction with PIPS and Projects development processes, and strategic planning exercises
• Coordinate day-to-day budget implementation, ensuring compliance with approved budget and advising key programme staff in a timely and systematic manner of potential problems and suggested ways of resolving budget issues.
• Ensure that the Nigeria Office operates within the budget parameters, proactively seeking more cost-effective approaches to meeting day-to-day and long term obligations.
• Establish and maintain Oxfam values around compliance, cost effectiveness, and transparent and accountable systems and operations.
• Serve as the primary liaison between the Nigeria Office and the Regional financial/administrative team on all financial/administrative matters of strategic and management importance.
• Develop and coordinate with the CD implementation of an annual financial management plan aligned with the annual operating plan, and including staff development plans around policies, procedures, IT and other finance and administration processes.
Through performance of key responsibilities and management of finance staff:
• Coordinate the annual budget development, proactively engaging with Region on parameters and actively advise Nigeria Office as part of review and decision making around allocations.
• Monitor all grants and programme budgets and provide the Nigeria Country Management Team with timely financial information required for management decision-making, including a monthly budget monitoring report with commentary.
• Supervise the preparation of the monthly finance pack in an accurate and timely manner for submission to the Regional Centre in Dakar, according to the standard checklist.
• Provide regular capacity building training sessions of finance and information technology skills to all programme and support staff.
• Ensure the timely preparation of cash top-up requests to the Regional Centre to ensure the timely transfers of funds to all project areas.
• Liaise with Regional Centre Finance Department to ensure budget variances are clarified and resolved, and coding is accurate and authorised.
• Ensure all corporate and regional procedures (banking, procurement, cash handling and all office accounting) are implemented and meet organisational standards.
• Ensure monthly processing of financial information on People5loft and reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts within deadline.
• Ensure that banking procedures are followed and the cash flow is maintained according to programme forecasts.
• Ensure that the monthly salary statements are prepared including the timely deduction and ~posit of taxes, insurance and other statutory liabilities.
• Ensure that an up-to-date record of staff loans and advances is implemented according to Oxfam procedures.
• Ensure end of year accounts are produced on time, budget surpluses are identified and maximised in time, whilst ensuring overspends are planned and
• Periodically review and make recommendations about the quality and integrity of all purchases and payments made on behalf of the Oxfam GB Nigeria programme. In collaboration with the CD and Programme Coordinators, establish and monitor revised procedures when necessary.
• Prepare the annual salary review in close coordination with the Regional Management Centre
• Keep current and advise the Nigeria Country Management Team on changes in corporate financial, practices within Oxfam GB.
• Supervise the monthly update of the projects information database.
• Line manage the office finance and Finance staff, including the IT and follow-up staff management issues, including setting objectives, performance appraisal and work conditions.
• Induct new staff in finance and systems, as required
• Ensure all financial and legal documentation related to Oxfam’s financial procedures and the programme is maintained according to Oxfam standards, within Nigerian and British charity law.
• Coordinate audit preparation and follow-up process, and provide progress reports to RC on all audits.
• Ensure clear audit trails and supervise the preparation/maintenance of accounts for external audits.
• Liaise with the Internal Audit Department and Regional Finance and Systems Manager to organise and coordinate internal and external audits as required. With support from other members of the Nigeria Country Management Team, follow-up and act on audit recommendations.
DONOR BUDGET MONITORING AND REPORTING
• Coordinate with the Programme Coordinators, Regional Funding Unit and Donor Accountant the completion of timely and accurate donor financial reports that comply with donor requirements.
• Ensure Systems are set up to facilitate effective Donor Contract Management
• Ensure accurate recording and monthly monitoring of donor-funded project
• Assist staff in developing budgets for donor-funded projects/proposal that meet the Nigeria Office need to address appropriately both programme and administrative costs.
PARTNER FINANCE MONITORING
• Ensure effective Partner Finance Management assessment and monitoring
• Where necessary provide capacity-building training on financial management practices.
• To quality check and review Partner Financial report and ensure compliance with Partner agreement and/or Donor requirement
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILL AND COMPETENCE
• At least five year’s experience in finance with substantive accounting administrative (Logistics) responsibilities
• At two years experience supervising finance and/or administrative staff.
• Professional accounting qualification from the Institute for Chartered Accountants in Nigeria (ICAN)
• At least two years working in a large Nigeria NGO or International NGO receiving donor funding.
• Demonstrated experience using financial management software. Experience with Peoplesoft a plus.
• Computer literacy on standard PC operating systems, word processing and spreadsheet applications.
• Ability to meet regular deadlines, generate information and respond quickly to meet unanticipated demand
• Strong financial planning and analytical skills
• Ability to develop finance management tools to meet finance/administrative and programme needs
• Strong verbal and writing skills communication skills, including ability to develop and give presentations
• Demonstrated leadership skills in motivating staff and coordinating teamwork on office projects
• Ability to manage competing tasks; ability to prioritise and produce high level output consistently.
• Ability to train and support development of staff and partner organizations on financial and administrative practices
• Ability to work and communicate effectively within both a management team and larger office team.
• Critical awareness of gender equity principles and commitment and interest to developing these within Oxfam
• Strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to Oxfam GB’s mission , working with others to find lasting solutions.
• Open Ended Contract
NOTE : There are no relocation allowance available for this position
Latest deadline for the application: 22nd June, 2010.