Posted on :
25 Jul, 2011
TechnoServe is a rapidly growing non-profit organization dedicated to the expansion of economic opportunity and income for the poor in over 20 countries. Founded in 1968, TechnoServe implements projects that enhance the competitiveness of agricultural and other industry “value chains” for the benefit of small-holder farmers and other market participants in developing countries.
A second main focus is the identification and development of high potential entrepreneurs for the expansion of their businesses and generation of employment opportunities. TechnoServe employs a staff of 700 business and technical specialists and program managers throughout its network in Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa and India.
II. PRIMARY PURPOSE & FUNCTION:
TechnoServe is in the process of launching new programs in West and Southern Africa, and is seeking senior managers to oversee the implementation of those programs. This includes the development and maintenance of a robust and impactful program strategy, management of day to day operations in line with that strategy, recruitment and retention of staff and representation of TechnoServe to external partners and donors.
III. DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Developing the strategic vision for the program/country and its execution
• Developing, presenting and implementing the annual goals and objectives of the program
• Overseeing effective and efficient management of the client business portfolio; portfolio implementation, monitoring and evaluation, quality control, cost-effectiveness and day-to-day oversight
• Developing, maintaining and utilizing the network of local TechnoServe partners relevant to the program
• In the case of Country Directors only, New business development (securing sufficient funding for the country program); developing funding proposals; cultivating and maintaining TechnoServe in-country partner and donor relationships
• Hiring program staff and terminating when necessary
• Implementing an on-going professional development and training program for staff
• Ensuring mid-year and year-end performance evaluations are conducted with all staff; recommending and implementing all salary increases based upon performance evaluations
• Hiring independent consultants
• Understanding, implementing, and managing the program budget
• Managing relations with financial institutions
• Reviewing all financial information, monthly reports, business plans, etc. on a timely basis
• Ensuring proper acquisition, management and eventual disposition of all TechnoServe operational assets required for the program (vehicles, computers, furniture, etc.)
• Communicating internally and externally with local employees, home office and division
• Liaising with the media, public, local government and its agencies, as well as other NGOs, to ensure TNS’s image is preserved
• Communicating with bilateral and multilateral agencies and developing relationships that seek to promote TNS’ mission and objectives
IV. KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE:
• MBA or equivalent degree in related field
• Strong private sector strategy and management experience, including several of the following key skills areas: business development, consulting, training, financial analysis, marketing, business plan and proposal writing
• Strong interpersonal/people management skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong private sector experience and entrepreneurial orientation
• Strong financial analysis and management skills
• Agribusiness experience preferred
• Fluency in English (and French for West African positions)
Reports to: Regional Director, West & Southern Africa
To Apply: Please submit a CV, cover letter, salary history and three references to [email protected]. Place position title in the subject line. Please include all documents together. No phone calls please.
TechnoServe is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.