United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WFP Administration Assistant
Job ID: 3781
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 6 months
This position is located in the Wold Food Programme (WFP) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG).Working under the overall guidance of the WFP Finance Office and under the direct supervision of the Admin/Finance Officer, the incumbent will assist in the general operations and execution of the WFP Country Office activities
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provides administrative and clerical support for the planning/implementation of project activities –including seminars, workshops and training activities.
- Maintains all proper filing system. Select information and records in specified format or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents.
- Assists in the preparation of documents for use in the formulation of the work plans, progress reports, budgets, and periodic reviews with national counterparts.
- Assists in procurement processes and proper assets management, monitoring, recording and disposal.
- Maintains records on project activities / assistance delivery, including agendas, list of participants, experts’ contact details and reports.
- Assists in the preparation of terms of reference, programmes and logistics for visiting experts, missions, delegations, and donor representatives.
- Provides advice and assist staff members and their dependants by processing requests for visas, identity cards, driving licenses and other necessary personnel-related documents in accordance with the requirements of the United Nations and the country of the duty station location.
- Advises and makes arrangements for shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment and household effects; including customs clearance.
- Provide support to the WFP Security Focal Point on WFP’s personnel security.
- Makes travel and hotel reservations, prepares travel orders and assembles information pertinent to the purpose of travel.
- Assists in following up contact/communication with Government institutions and authorities, local representatives of other United Nations organizations, NGOs, civil society organizations, resource persons and the media regarding WFP mandates and project matters.
- Liaise with UNDP and other UN-related organizations on administrative matters linked to project implementation.
- Collects, assesses and analyses information related to project activities in view of providing background and/or complementary information for future project reports / proposals regular inputs into relevant information networks, including creation and maintenance of institutional and individual regional expert rosters (databases), and 3. additional information as requested.
- Performs other duties (such as general correspondence, attendance at meetings, minutes of meetings, reports, follow-up, etc.) as required.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of concepts and approaches relevant to budgetary and financial management; demonstrable knowledge of database administration; knowledge of the financial rules and regulations of the United Nations as well as familiarity with UN policies and procedures as they relate to programme budgeting and financial administration; demonstrable commitment to the values of the United Nations, particularly integrity in daily activities and behaviors; demonstrated professional competence and mastery of administrative processes; ability to perform a range of administrative functions, including event planning and organizing and human resources administration; ability to map out potential risks and make contingencies, as required.
- Shows pride in work and achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of WFP to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
- University degree in Business or public administration, personnel administration, social sciences or related field will be a plus.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible professional experience in administrative assistance of project implementation and management preferably in a civil service, NGO, or international organisation environment. Computer literacy, specifically advanced skills in MS Office Suite.
- Work experience in the United Nations System or European Union -funded projects would be an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below
Application Deadline 18th May, 2016.