Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Food Security and Livelihood Senior Market Officer
- To support implementation of FSL component of the project. More specifically, assist in methodological improvements of market data collection and analysis.
- S/he is principally responsible for collecting and interpreting market data, formulating reports and making recommendations based upon the findings
- Lead the identification and sensitization of local vendors in the project intervention zone, and maintain a collaborative relationship between them and Save the Children.
- Design the monthly market price monitoring process in collaboration with project and HQ staff, train enumerators on its implementation, and prepare monthly narratives for donor submission.
- Supervise the data collection enumerators and ensure that the collected data is accurate, reliable, and submitted in a timely manner.
- Analyse main market data collected by enumerators andprovide the context understanding of data collected in terms of current, seasonal and long-term trends and links to food and livelihood security analysis.
- Regularly monitor, analyse and report on the overall market situation, ensuring information, data and analysis is evidence-based, accurate and credible.
- Identify emerging issues related to the market assessments and make recommendations for further investigation and analysis.
- Support rapid assessments, baseline studies, and seasonal assessments in collaboration with food security and livelihood colleagues.
- Assist in the revision of tools used in food security assessments/surveys
- Assist in developing new ways of data presentation in terms of graphs, tables, etc
- Working closely with the FSL Advisor and/or other senior programme staff, support timely programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- With support from the Monitoring & Evaluation team support the M & E plan implementation within the FSL projects, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity build technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- With support from the Accountability Lead ensure accountability is enforced in all project activities as well as ensuring that feedback from children and their families is considered in project design/implementation
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for partner staff and communicate this to the Field manager or FSL Adviser.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Ensure that Save the Children’s work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and support Interagency Coordination forums, advocating for the specific needs of children. This may involve supporting coordination working groups within the IDP camps and host communities or target project sites.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required through correction of data and information and sharing with the project heads
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience in food security, research studies and report writing
- University degree in relevant field (in social research methods, development studies, agriculture, economics)
- Demonstrated primary and secondary data analysis and analytical skills
- Familiarity with various field survey methods and techniques (PRA, sample surveys, etc.)
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of training and capacity building staff
- Some experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
Job Title: Consultant – Endline Survey for Dutch Relief Fund Projects
- Save the Children is seeking for a Consulting Firm that will conduct the project evaluation of Nigeria Joint Response (NJR). Save the Children is the lead agency for NJR which is made up of three other agencies; IRC, Oxfam and Tearfund.
- The NJR project is implemented in three NE states of Gombe, Adamawa and Borno and the evaluation will be conducted in all the three states.
- The purpose for this evaluation is twofold. Firstly, the evaluation will assess the performance of the NJR and ensures accountability towards the Dutch Government and public. Secondly, it offers a learning aspect for all stakeholders.
- Lessons learned and recommendations for programme implementation and design should be part of the evaluation report.
Job Title: Consultant – Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
Location: Borno, Nigeria
Purpose of Consultancy
- The WASH consultant will support the implementation of the ECHO II NCE.
- The purpose is to ensure close supervision of all WASH activities, maintain standards and to deliver quality works within the specified period.
- There shall be a weekly report as requested by the donor to monitor the implementation within the given period.
Objective 1: Critical monitoring of all WASH activities in the field and report appropriately
- Supervise the on-going construction(borehole and latrine construction) and ensure that contractors stick to standards and specification
- Participate in training of borehole management and maintenance volunteers
Objective 2: support other hardware component of the project:
- Participate in the distribution of NFIs
- Participate in the distribution of maintenance tools.
- Support the SCI WASH officer when needed.
Scope of Work
- This project will be carried out in seven health facilities in seven communities within MMC and Jere LGAs Maiduguri Borno state.
- There shall be weekly report which will be submitted to the WASH Advisor and forwarded to the donor as part of the project monitoring process to ensure timeliness and coordination.
Duration and Timeline
- The project shall be expected to complete within 90 days beginning June 1, 2016.
Competencies, Experience and Skill Requirements
Administrative & General Skills:
- First graduate with knowledge in Civil Engineering or WASH-related fields
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs
- Experience in Nutrition and in community based programmes
- Knowledge of construction site management
- Experience in steel structure design and supervision
- Community mobilisation and advocacy experience
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Hausa, spoken and written
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below
Application Deadline 15th June, 2016.