UNICEF’s mission in Nigeria is to help governments at all levels, organizations, communities and families provide every child with education, health, equality and protection.
UNICEF Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of:
Post Title: WASH State Consultant
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-14-2014
Level: National Officer (NOA level)
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA)
Duration: 8 months
Location: Zamfara, Kaduna, Jigawa, Benue, Bauchi, Katsina
(Multiple duty stations in LGA Headquarters in the above states)
Purpose of Assignment:
To assist with the implementation of the DFID funded SHAWN-II project with particular focus on sanitation and Hygiene LGN Community level results planned under SHAWN project for the particular LGNs in a State. The consultant will be managed through a third party contractor who will provide necessary administrative and logistical support to the LGA level Consultant. Technical guidance and oversight will be provided by the UNICEF Field Office WASH Specialist/ Officer.
Key tasks expected:
- Liaise with all institutions and involved in SHAWN activities and donor assisted programs at the LGA level
- Participate in regular meetings and review missions with key stake holders at the LGA level.
- Support identification of capacity building needs and facilitate training of trainers at the LGA Community level
- Support the LGA WASH Department/ Unit to develop/ review and implement the LGA Level WASH sectoral plans/ community action plans and budgets
- Support natural leaders and community consultants to propagate Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) and accelerate sanitation uptake
- Provide the necessary technical assistance to the WASH Departments Units WASHCOMs in the implementation monitoring and supervision of agreed project targets
- Play an active role in the conducting and dissemination of survey results and study finding
- Assist participating LGAs WASH Department Units to prepare proposals for support on community mobilisation establishment and training of WASHCOMs, water quality monitoring and participatory planning.
- Strengthen LGA WASH Departments/Units and communities reporting, documentation and flow of information among stakeholders on various aspects of the project implementation
- Prepare monthly reports bind other progress reports based on the statutory templates on access to WASH, counterpart contributions, WASHCOM functionality, Water points functionality, movement up the sanitation ladder etc.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience required:
- University degree in one of the following – Sanitation, Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience (national or international in the implementation and coordination of
- WASH projects/activities including CLTS: working knowledge of planning in WASH and good understanding of hygiene, community mobilization approaches & public health issues.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in Sanitation and Programme communication including documentation will be an asset.
Application Closing Date
Tuesday, 29April 2014.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (Please Download Here) to:[email protected] by close of business on Tuesday, 29th April 2014.
Please mention the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply