Posted on :
28 Apr, 2011
28 Apr, 2011
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world is recruiting for a senior economist
Job # 110709
Job Title Senior Economist
Job Family Economic Policy
Location Abuja, Nigeria
Appointment International Hire
Job Posted 19-Apr-2011
Closing Date 10-May-2011
Language Requirements English [Essential]; French [Essential]
The Senior Economist will lead and oversee a demand-driven research program on regional integration in West Africa that will 1) take stock of progress made so far (and identify where progress is lacking or absent) and analyze the political economy of the regional integration process, 2) examine the reasons for this mixed performance, 3) compile new analysis where important gaps are identified, 4) describe and quantify the costs and benefits of regional integration, 5) improve understanding of the appropriate phasing of regional integration, 6) develop and publish indicators to measure progress and generate demand for improvement, and 7) present practical solutions to overcoming key constraints to regional integration.
He/she will work in close collaboration with the regional integration bodies and a steering committee that will give guidance to the Senior Economist with regard to key priorities of the regional actors that will determine the research agenda under the program. The selected candidate will ensure that the program produces high quality research outputs responding to client needs and will work closely with researchers inside and outside the World Bank implementing elements of the research agenda.
The selected candidate will also help establish regional knowledge platforms and research networks, and support capacity building measures to help formulate and implement relevant policies and projects. At the same time, the selected candidate will also work on integrating relevant research outputs into World Bank operations by ensuring a continuous dialogue with staff working on trade and regional integration in the World Bank.
The position will be for an initial period of two years with the possibility of an extension for one or more years depending on the success of the program. The senior trade economist will report to the sector managers for AFTP4 and AFTP3 respectively, and will work closely with, and be advised by, the Lead Economist (Trade and Regional Integration) in the Africa PREM front office. The position is for a period of 24 months with possibility of renewal for another 12 months.
• Advanced degree in economics and at least 10 years of relevant experience in trade policy and regional integration.
• Superior analytical skills demonstrated through a strong track record of major economic reports or other published work relating to economic policy and trade analysis. Ability to conduct innovative work in challenging environments is also required.
• Experience working in research capacity building and in policy dialogue with governments.
• Knowledge of West Africa preferable.
• Strong interpersonal skills and client focus.
• Ability to operate effectively both as team leader and team member.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French.
• Commitment to and experience with knowledge sharing.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.