Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited announces the fifth annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States. The objective of the scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from these Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
In the four years since the programme was launched 40 students have benefited from the opportunity to study at world-renowned institutions.
SPDC will award 10 scholarships for one year M.Sc studies in partnership with three universities in the UK: Imperial College London, University College, London and the University of Leeds for the academic year commencing September 2014.
2014 SPDC NIGER DELTA OVERSEA POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME
The following courses will be offered:
Imperial College, London
- M.Sc Petroleum Engineering
- M.Sc Petroleum Geoscience
- M.Sc Petroleum Geophysics
University College, London
- M.Sc Chemical/Process Engineering
- M.Sc Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc Civil Engineering
University of Leeds
- M.Sc Exploration Geophysics
- M.Sc Electronic/Electrical Engineering
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- Meet the University’s English language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent TOEFL score valid for Sept 2014, admission)
- Be between 21-28 years by 30/09/2014
- Be indigenes of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (proof of this will be required)
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study
- Have obtained a university degree equivalent to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree) at a minimum
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a valid Nigerian passport valid till December, 2015
- Be neither current nor former employees (who have left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Karamat Ltd
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or Karamat Ltd.
Application Closing Date
24th January, 2014.
- Submit application for admission to the respective university for any of the qualifying courses
- Application forms for the scholarship will ONLY be available through the websites of the participating universities following an offer of admission
- Universities will process applications and select candidates to attend an interview with a Consultant before being considered for final selection.
Click here for more information
- The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only.