Abt Associates – The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief of Party
- The Chief of Party (COP) will provide overall leadership and day-to-day management of the anticipated five-year, USAID-funded agricultural competitiveness and trade development program in West Africa
- The project – to be based in Abuja, Nigeria – is expected to focus on improving private sector competitiveness, both increasing the agricultural productivity/profitability of smallholder farmers in Nigeria and promoting West Africa’s regional and international trade
- The project is expected to feature a large grants fund to foster private sector partnerships and achieve trade and food security objectives.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the planning, implementation and management of the project in a manner consistent with the contract scope of work and ongoing direction from USAID.
- Ensure clear communications with clients and stakeholders about project activities and accomplishments.
- Represent the project to USAID and in public settings.
- Build a motivated, results-oriented team effective in refining relevant technical models, carrying out the work, and coordinating with partners.
- With the DCOP for Administration, coordinate to spend according to plan and ensure compliance with USAID regulations.
- Assure quality control of the work and coordinate with staff to ensure timely and well-documented data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Applicants must demonstrate the intellectual, leadership, and management skills necessary to develop, articulate and implement a vision for a complex and ambitious project
- Applicants must also demonstrate a track record managing complex projects valued at $20 million or more.
In particular, the candidate should possess:
- Advanced Degree in Business, Agriculture, Trade, Economics, or related field.
- Ten to fifteen years’ experience in international development, ideally with complex or regional programs focused on agricultural competitiveness, SME development, policy, regional and international trade standards, or export development.
- Excellent interpersonal, supervision, problem-solving, and coordination skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate staff in multiple locations.
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local governments, private sector representatives, and civil society organizations.
- Language fluency in English required, working knowledge of French desired.
- USAID Chief of Party experience (highly desired). Experience interacting directly with USAID or other similar donors regarding programmatic, strategic communications, and contractual issues.
- Significant experience in West Africa, including Nigeria (highly desired). Familiarity with West African regional trade and agriculture institutions, the business enabling environment, constraints to meeting international grades and standards, and agricultural sector competitiveness.
- Experience managing large grants funds, ideally grants under contract focused on agricultural competitiveness.
- MA/MS with 15 years of experience or PhD with 10 years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates must submit the following below to: [email protected]
USAID’s form 1420 (Employee Biographical Datasheet or “biodata”) in Word format
- USAID Form
- Updated Resume
- Cover Letter with position title and project name that describes how the candidate meets the minimum qualifications.
Application Deadline: 10th June, 2018.
Note: This position is contingent upon an award of the contract to Abt Associates.