Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Coordinator Food Security and Livelihood
- We are looking for a highly skilled, creative Regional Coordinator FSL, responsible for coordinating, consolidating, and ensuring smooth implementation of FSL programmes through support to the FSL teams and ensuring adherence to our policy, procedure and donor guidelines and standards.
About the Program
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. The main objectives of the country program are 1/ to continue building on Action Against Hunger’s reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload Northern Nigeria States and build evidence from out pilot projects to influence policy makers to find long lasting solution to under nutrition and hunger and 2/ responding to the dire humanitarian situation created by the devastating conflict on-going in the North East while applying, where possible, attempts to find durable solutions in line with the New ways of Working and Humanitarian Development Nexus. With a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the on-going conflict. We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 international) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA&FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
- guaranteeing quality, relevance and scaling up of FSL strategy and interventions of the mission, in conformity with Action Against Hunger and international standards and national policies.
Key Activities in your Role
Support the consolidation, development and strengthening of Action Against Hunger’s strategic and technical leadership in food security and livelihoods at the regional level:
- Develop and train teams on rapid assessment on FSL issues in the context of emergency response.
- Share relevant project information with other stakeholders as needed in consultation with Deputy Country Director Technical and relevant team members.
- Capture the lessons learned and share best practices across the program and organization. This includes reflecting lessons learned and best practices in donor reports/progress reports and in scaling up activities.
- Contribute in humanitarian FSL technical strategy.
- Lead FSL situation analysis and assessment, identify priorities and design FSL interventions including supporting, needs assessment (including market assessment), PDM’s and other surveys mainly for Humanitarian programme.
- Involve the logistics and Finance departments in the design/review of Humanitarian FSL projects.
- Contribute to seeking donors for his/her sector, holding technical discussions, and exchanging information with these donors; participate in donor visits whenever requested by the Deputy Country Director.
- Produce the FSL sections of project proposals in accordance with donor formats and deadlines.
- Set up indicators, organize regular collection of relevant data, validate data and create an appropriate information management system and ability to work with Red Rose Platform for FSL humanitarian program.
Provide technical support for and coordination for Humanitarian FSL projects (FFP Yobe, FFP Borno, SIDA etc. ):
- Provide technical support to Field Coordinator in all aspects of the project management cycle in ensuring that Action Against Hunger FSL strategy, quality standards benchmarks are integrated.
- Leads efforts in environmental scanning of new opportunities, developing concept notes and piloting new approaches, designs or technologies.
- Produce reports on regional level developments in Food Security and Livelihoods.
- Support the teams in the identification of technical difficulties, troubleshooting and recommend credible and relevant solutions.
- In collaboration with team, develop and deliver annual/quarterly/monthly work/activity plans, follow up the implementation of plans and ensure timely review/adjust them to achieve committed target. This includes in coordination with program team deliver progress reports in timely manner and or according to agreed deadlines.
- Provide technical advice to the program team on a regular basis as well as capacity building of the team though training, discussions, feedback and coaching.
To ensure the researches, technical studies and innovation are contacted related to FSL:
- Ensure that proper case studies are developed together with communication team and disseminated to relevant stakeholders.
- To ensure that achievements and lessons learned from the programmes are captured in a way that they can be capitalized for future programming.
- To continuously compile and improve mission technical documentation (maps, reports, evaluations, meeting minutes, guidelines, case studies) and proactively disseminate it to the field staff, Field Coordinators and M&E staff, and country coordination.
- To submit all required and requested reports and adhoc updates on time including those for donors in coordination with DCD Technical.
- To ensure management of all filing for FSL related projects and documentation.
Ensure the quality of internal and external reporting:
- Check and validate the monthly APRs for humanitarian projects.
- Ensure donor proposals and reports on FSL program/activities are prepared according to agreed deadlines. This includes supporting FSL team to complete their reports in order to compile them in timely manner.
- Provide an end of mission report to be sent to as per employment contract employing Action Against Hunger standard template.
- Report on attended meetings or training to share with program managers, coordination team, DCD Technical and NY headquarters as necessary.
- Send monthly Action Against Hunger FSL report to Deputy Country Director and Technical Advisors as necessary employing Action Against Hunger suggested format.
- Provide inputs for the mission monthly technical sitrep.
Ensure the active participation of Action Against Hunger in national sectorial coordination and technical forums, and develop sectorial partnerships:
- Represent Action Against Hunger in dealings with national and international FSL stakeholders for Humanitarian areas; participate to coordination meetings, working group (Cash Working Group and Food Security Sector Working Group) and clusters informing on Action Against Hunger positions and protocols.
- Develop a network among other INGOs, national NGOs, universities, private company, research institutes and relevant key stakeholders linked to FSL activities in Humanitarian settings.
- Ensure the FSL related advocacy are developed together with advocacy manger and coordinated with relevant stakeholders.
- You have an Advanced University degree (Masters) preferably in economics, international development studies social sciences (sociology) , agricultural economics, agriculture and development.
- You have interest and/or experience in Cash transfer programs, Agriculture and livestock programming in Humanitarian setting and community led methodologies.
- You have a demonstrated experience in financial management and preparation of budgets for programming.
- You are fluent in written & spoken English.
- You have the ability to explain complex concepts in straight-forward language.
- You are committed to gender equity and equality.
- You have a genuine interest in & commitment to the principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Your work style builds confidence with others, and you believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
- You have minimum 3 years’ experience in food security and livelihoods.
- You have experience in Food security and Livelihood assessments including cash and market assessments in both development and emergency contexts.
- You have clear understanding of child and gender protection issues in the field.
- You have proven management and coordination skills (HR, projects, and stress management).
- You have proven ability to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy.
- You have good diplomatic and negotiation skills.
- You have experience with evaluations and monitoring as well as Program Cycle Management.
Our Core Values
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
- Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 12th June, 2018.