Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: WASH Head of Department
- We are looking for a highly skilled, creative WASH HOD, responsible for planning and managing the WASH projects that are implemented in the region.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by:
- guaranteeing quality, relevance and scaling up of WASH strategy and interventions of the mission, in conformity with Action Against Hunger and international standards and national policies.
Key activities in your role will include
Coordinate the identification of needs and formulation of project proposal mainly for development programmes:
- Lead country WASH situation analysis and assessment, identify priorities and design WASH interventions including supporting, needs assessment, KAP and other surveys mainly for development programme.
- Develop and train teams on rapid assessment on WASH issues in the context of recovery and development.
- Share relevant project information with other stakeholders as needed in consultation with Deputy Country Director Technical and relevant team members.
- Capture the lessons learned and share best practices across the program and organization. This includes reflecting lessons learned and best practices in donor reports/progress reports and in scaling up activities.
- Develop WASH technical strategy to contribute to the Action Against Hunger country strategy.
- Identify additional external support required for the program in terms of consultants, designing of Scope of Work etc.
- Formulating and implementing feasibility studies of WASH projects (public health, technical, socio-economic, cultural and environmental aspects).
- Involve the logistics and Finance departments in the design/review of WASH projects.
- Contribute to seeking donors for his/her sector, holding technical discussions, and exchanging information with these donors; participate in donor visits whenever requested by the Deputy Country Director/Country Director.
- Produce the WASH sections of project proposals in accordance with donor formats and deadlines.
- Set up indicators, organize regular collection of relevant data, validate data and create an appropriate information management system for WASH development program.
Provide technical support for and coordination for long-term WASH and electrification projects (EU Borno, ECHO Yobe, INP-DFID):
- Support the teams in the identification of technical difficulties, troubleshooting and recommend credible and relevant solutions.
- In collaboration with team, develop and deliver annual/quarterly/monthly work/activity plans, follow up the implementation of plans and ensure timely review/adjust them to achieve committed target. This includes in coordination with program team deliver progress reports in timely manner and or according to agreed deadlines.
- Provide technical advice to the program team on a regular basis as well as capacity building of the team through training, discussions, feedback and coaching.
To ensure the researches, technical studies and innovation are contacted related to WASH:
- To develop ToR for WASH research studies related to sustainability and effectiveness of WASH activities.
- Identify consultant or intern to contact research or studies together with human resources department.
- To supervise and provide technical support for the consultant or intern to conduct the study.
- Ensure that proper case studies are developed together with communication team and disseminated to relevant stakeholders.
- Identify and develop concept note for innovative projects related to WASH and seek for funding.
Ensure the quality of internal and external reporting:
- Ensure donor proposals and reports on WASH program/activities are prepared according to agreed deadlines. This includes supporting WASH team to complete their reports in order to compile them in timely manner.
- Provide an end of mission report to be sent to as per employment contract employing AAH standard template.
- Report on attended meetings or training to share with program managers, coordination team, DCD Technical and NY headquarters as necessary.
- Send monthly AAH WASH report to Deputy Country Director and Technical Advisor as necessary employing AAH suggested format.
- Provide inputs for the mission monthly technical sitrep.
- Check and validate the monthly APRs for development projects.
Ensure the active participation of Action Against Hunger in national sectorial coordination and technical forums, and develop sectorial partnerships:
- Represent Action Against Hunger in dealings with national and international WASH and DRR authorities/stakeholders; participate to coordination meetings, working group and clusters informing on Action Against Hunger positions and protocols.
- Develop a network among other INGOs, national NGOs, universities, private company, research institutes and relevant key stakeholders linked to WASH activities.
- Ensure the WASH related advocacy are developed together with advocacy manger and coordinated with relevant stakeholders.
- Degree in Water Engineering/Construction Engineering/Public Health with experience in water, sanitation, hygiene and health education projects with over 3 years of experience.
- OR Relevant degree with at least 5 years’ experience in project management, preferably in a humanitarian context. Experience can be considered in lieu of academic qualification, but not vice-a-versa.
- You are fluent in written & spoken English.
- You have the ability to explain complex concepts in straight-forward language.
- You are committed to gender equity and equality.
- You have a genuine interest in & commitment to the principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Your work style builds confidence with others, and you believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
- You have interest and/or experience in hygiene education and training and/or community led methodologies.
- You have experience in and strong proposal writing and donor reporting skills.
- You have a strong understanding of project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation.
- You have working experience in complex emergencies.
- You are comfortable applying HR policies consistently & tactfully.
- You have experience in developing world context.
- You have experience in financial management and preparation of budgets for programming.
- You have excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
- You have excellent management and representation competencies.
Our Core values
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
- Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply