ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises works with the poor and excluded; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and Governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world. ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
ActionAid Nigeria is inviting applications from qualified candidates to fill the position within the organisation below:
Job Title: Logistics Assistant
- The post holder will be responsible for providing an effective and efficient administrative support in the Logistics unit.
- S/he will work closely with the Logistics Advisor to facilitate a smooth-running unit as well as ensure effective vehicle & facility management in accordance with ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) policy.
- Minimum of National Diploma in Business Administration or Social Sciences/Art is essential
- A vocational certification is desirable
- Two (2) years minimum working experience is essential
- Experience in office administration is essential
- Experience in managing vehicles and driving, travels and facilities is essential
- Experience working in an International development agency is desirable
- Demonstrable IT skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English
- Good knowledge of FRSC rules and guidelines
- Good knowledge of Abuja roads and other road networks in Nigeria
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Excellent administrative skills
Click Here to Download Application Form (MSWord)
Job Title: Manager, Social Mobilisation
Location: Country Office, Abuja
Responsible to: Director of Programmes
Line Management: SCRAP-C Project Manager, SIP Manager, Policy/Campaign Advocacy Officer (EC – PANAF)
- The post holder will be a member of the Country Management Team and will be expected to oversee and manage all AAN projects under this strategic focus; s/he will have oversight on the policy and campaigns projects, tax justice, social investments and other campaign-related projects within the organisation.
S/he will also provide high-quality service to ActionAid Nigeria in the following areas:
- Identify gaps in knowledge, thinking & practice around public policy and movements in AAN and developing alternative concepts for filling these gaps.
- Provide & create knowledge using Human Right based approach, especially on working within a RBA (e.g. inputs into training programmes, conferences & ambassadors’ events) to strengthen ActionAid Nigeria staff capacity and motivation for knowledge-use, critical thinking, experiential learning, popular and participatory methods of knowledge capture, processing, packaging and sharing.
- Provide leadership in identifying gaps in public policies and work out detailed official policy alternatives from the perspectives of the poor and excluded in Nigeria in response to identified gaps
- Provide leadership in the development and strengthening of partnerships among stakeholders, government departments and NGOs for effective collaboration and co-ordination on strategic national & global concerns.
- Monitor and assess trends, developments, forces, tendencies; make critical analysis of the public sphere at national and international level and advise AAN on appropriate responses to such emerging trends.
- Lead AAN engagement with policy making institutions and organs and provide proper linkage between local policy initiatives and national and international policy issues
- Work with IASL in Knowledge Management for the purpose of harnessing critical and analytical learning from all ActionAid’s work to create proper documentation, resources for evidencing our work, evidencing for advocacy and campaigns, analytics new knowledge and continued learning.
- Strengthen inter-thematic linkages in AAN’s social movement initiatives and interventions.
- Contribute to ActionAid single campaign.
- Contribute to AAI annual plans and reports
Representation and communications:
- Overall responsibility for AAN participation in and contribution to the international policy advocacy and campaigns.
- Represent AAN in official and non-official policy forums
- Participate in relevant national advocacy networks and initiatives
- Develop a national institution advocacy strategy (intergovernmental, economic, trade, development, co-operation bodies)
- Contribute to AAN’s strategic decision making, particularly relating to policy work
- Provide quarterly State of the Nations Report to AAN Governing Board to guide the board in its communications on the state of affairs of the nation.
- Represent AAN in Tax Justice working group of International Platform 2
Movement & alliance building:
- Engage in formal partnerships and build alliances with national institutions and academic bodies around specific issues.
- Identify organisations with expertise in advocacy mainstreaming and right based approaches to implement mainstreaming strategies in Nigeria.
- Link with influential policy institutes, NGOs, and academic bodies in Nigeria for exchange of ideas, experience, access to talent, and explore potential for supporting independent thinking, and strategic alliances.
- Identify for the organisation informal networks, pre-existing institutional structures and formal organisations who share common views with AAN and have the capacity for organisation and the actual mobilisation of citizens for collective action.
- Identify instances of favourable changes in the external political system and other shifting levels of opportunity that emerge across time and place which could generate and sustain collective actions on issues of the poor, good governance and accountability.
Development of Knowledge & Alternatives:
- Policy advocacy and campaign positions, quality, standards and associated capacity strengthening
- Learn about the most interesting policy-related issues and methods in Nigeria (particularly relating to rights approaches and participatory policy work) and disseminate and encourage critical debate
- Work out and present detailed official policy alternatives from the perspectives of the poor and excluded.
- Promote the development of core positions for AAN on key strategic themes and issues
- Develop and maintain a database on thematic issues, methodologies and institutions for policy development and influencing.
- Coordinate collaborative action/research with other independent CBOs, NGOs, policy institutes and academic institutions.
- Serve as a policy research resource and link person.
- Generate, document, disseminate and promote the results of our policy work, capturing new knowledge and learning.
Strategic Thinking and Planning:
- To work with others to promote accelerated knowledge and learning on key ActionAid thematic areas
- Support project managers to ensure that quality of policy research outputs are consistent with ActionAid ALPS & Campaign vision
- Ensure there is in place effective mechanisms for the dissemination of policy research findings and their promotion to key policymakers and relevant stakeholders for the purpose of policy influencing.
- Lead the team in project steering committee meetings
- Work with the Head Resource Mobilisation to raise adequate resources for Policy and
- Advocacy work.
- Any other task as assigned by line manager.
- Internal Relationships: AAN team
- External Relationships: CSOs, Research institutes, and relevant government agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or Arts/Humanities – Essential
- Masters’ degree in a relevant field – Essential
- Membership of relevant professional Institute – Desirable
- A minimum of 8 years’ work experience – Essential
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in policy, advocacy and campaigns in Nigeria – Essential
- Experience of, and commitment to, policy influencing, networking and advocacy work. – Essential
- History of working with and within movements. – Essential
- Knowledge of policy, CSOs, media and youth movements landscape in Nigeria – Essential
- Experience in community-based work and engagements with CSOs – Essential
- Experience in working in an International Development organisation – Desirable
- Strong communication and writing skills – Essential
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills – Essential
- Proven strong and charismatic management and leadership skills and experience – Essential
- Excellent strategic planning and analytical skill – Essential
- Negotiation skills – Essential
- Demonstrable IT skills – Essential
- Highly numerate – Desirable
- A strong commitment to human rights and socio-economic justice and proven track record in exercising human rights – Essential
- An appreciation of the need for innovative ways of learning and knowledge development – Essential
- Flexibility to travel – Essential
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times – Essential
- Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision – Essential
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment – Essential
- Effectively promote the AAN’s mission, values and objectives – Essential
Click Here to Download Application Form (Msword format)
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download and complete the “Application Form” and send together with their Curriculum Vitae in MSWord attachment to: [email protected] Subject line of email should state clearly – “Job Title of Position applied for and Location e.g Manager, Social Mobilisation – Abuja”.
Application Deadline 16th May, 2018.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Scanned application forms and CVs will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates