Africa Magic (MultiChoice Nigeria) seeks to appoint a suitably qualified & dedicated individual to assume responsibility as a Content Buyer. The position will be based in Lagos, Nigeria and the successful candidate will report to the Channel Head.
Job Title: Content Buyer
External factors which will influence the work environment taking future conditions and strategic requirements into account:
- Lucrative Media environment
- Dynamic, vibrant, fast-paced & demanding organisation
- Highly Competitive environment
- Company policies & procedures
External individuals or groups as well as individuals or groups within the organisation to whom products, services, programme and information must be provided:
- Nigerian Censorship Board
- Regulatory Boards across Africa.
- Internal Censorship Board (ICB).
- DSTV Ad Sales
- On-Air Department
- M-Net Africa Magic Channels Programming Units
- Broadcast Services
- M-Net Legal and Contracts department
- New Media Publications
- Content Suppliers – Independents and Studios
- Subscribers and Potential subscribers
Services and information which the individual must provide to external individuals or groups, or one another to accomplish the organization’s mission and strategy:
- Screen, feedback and select latest movies and general short format programming.
- Screening and selection of suitable movies for Africa Magic, and choosing best slot/night per movie premiere
- Prepare Letters of Offer and negotiate license fees and terms with Independent Distributors as well as Local Suppliers.
- Prepare Deal Memos on Mindpack and forward for processing to Finance and Contracts and Director of Acquisitions.
- Liaise with Contracts and Finance departments to execute deals and Notice of Changes.
- Administer any changes to executed contracts via the due processes and procedures.
- Acquisitions to be validated against International Ratings where available as well as local performances.
- Facilitate and manage movie budget strictly to agreed due processes and procedures with M-Net Finance, Director of Acquisitions, Channel Head and Director of M-Net Finance.
ADMINISTRATION OF CONTENT DEALS
- Request screening copies of content for Africa Magic Channels from suppliers.
- Request suitable license start dates to support Schedule requirements and Channel Head’s objectives and to support the policies and procedures as defined by the Director of Finance and Director of Acquisitions.
- Administer avails notifications and input on Mindpack.
ADMINISTER AND PLAN MOVIE INVENTORY AND BUDGET
- Create Fixed Budget for year-end presentations.
- Draft analysis and presentations for year-end budget.
- Manage the cost, allocated runs and status of all films on a monthly basis.
- Compare actual monthly budget to planned budget. Deviations to be explained.
- Prepare Budget Forecasts, play–out patterns and analysis of movie budget and inventory.
- Maximize movie inventory allowing for festivals and star focus weekends.
- Schedule must maximize negotiated Deal terms
- Administer all tentative dates, titles and or license fees.
- Process all changes on Mindpack and movie inventory.
- Liaise with M-Net Finance, M-Net Legal & Contracts department and Channel Manager on a continuous basis.
- Assist Channel Head and Schedule Planners for Africa Magic channel to plan and acquire content suitable for the channel creatively and within the budget requirements.
- Source Product and negotiate Deals to include all necessary and required rights includes New Media: HD, SVOD, VOD, DVB-H, Wide Screen, includes innovative Subscriber Value Adds e.g. HI and Sight Impaired where applicable.
- Liaise with Programme Acceptance team and Channel Head to support channels objectives.
Personal capabilities which are critical to the production of quality outputs are:
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- A dynamic person with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to liaise with a diversity of people at all levels
- Ability to use judgement and make decisions
- Effective control of financial resources
- Is a role model for the team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative
- Passion for Nigerian programming, entertainment television and an understanding of Nollywood and global media trends
- Team spirited
KNOWLEDGE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Relevant Business Degree (or equivalent)
- Financial and legal experience an advantage
- At least 3 years of television experience
- Extensive Movie and TV knowledge
- Content acquisition knowledge is a must
- Computer literacy (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel) compulsory
- Mindpack an advantage
- Travel flexibility
- Strong negotiation skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply