African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Evaluation Knowledge Assistant – BDEV3
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50068475
- The Board of Directors (BDIR) provides oversight and strategic direction to the African Development Bank Group. It is composed of Executive Directors who are representatives of the AfDB member countries. Specifically the Board is responsible for the conduct of the general operations of the Bank, and carries out the following functions:
- Determine the general structure of the Bank’s services;
- Approve the financing policy and take decisions concerning loans, guarantees, equity investments and fund loans by the Bank;
- Determine the interest rates of loans and guarantee commissions;
- Approve the Bank’s operations programme and administrative budget;
- Prepare the work of the Board of Governors ; and
- Submit accounts and annual reports, as well as the administrative budgets for the approval of the Board of Governors.
- The Board does its work through a series of permanent Committees that review and discuss policy and program documents and make appropriate recommendations to the whole Board. Independent Development Evaluation (IDEV); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR) report to the Board.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The overarching mission of the African Development Bank’s Independent Development Evaluation (IDEV) is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank in its regional member countries through independent and influential evaluations, oversight over self-evaluation processes and products, and proactive engagement in evaluation partnerships and knowledge-sharing activities. The core mandate of IDEV is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of African Development Bank’s self-evaluation activities. IDEV also collaborates and exchanges information with bilateral and multilateral development agencies’ evaluation departments, and undertakes joint evaluation of co-financed projects and programs.
- IDEV has three divisions; IDEV1, IDEV2 and IDEV3. IDEV1 and IDEV2 divisions focus on undertaking evaluations. IDEV3, the Knowledge Management, Outreach, and Capacity Development Division, is responsible for knowledge management, dissemination and outreach activities around IDEV evaluations, and for supporting the development of evaluation capacities both in the Bank and in its Regional Member Countries.
- The Evaluation Knowledge Assistant will provide support for the knowledge management and dissemination of IDEV evaluations, including the preparation of evaluation knowledge and communication products.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager IDEV3, the Evaluation Knowledge Assistant will perform the following tasks:
- Identifying and accessing possible sources of knowledge and information relevant for IDEV knowledge products and events and extracting the information;
- Assisting in the preparation of evaluation, knowledge and dissemination activities (such as missions, events) conducted by professional staff and/or consultants and participating in these activities as required;
- Providing logistical support to the IDEV team during evaluation conferences, workshops and other events, both within and outside of the Headquarters of the Bank;
- Identifying and contacting internal and external sources and other stakeholders to seek required information;
- Consolidating, categorizing and maintaining background information and records on relevant issues, developing related databases and information systems and updating them accordingly;
- Reporting on developments within the work programme;
- Performing other duties as may arise.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Social Sciences, Policy Analysis, or related field.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in development organizations
- Experience working in knowledge management or communication is an asset
- Understanding of evaluation processes
- Knowledge of knowledge management and communication
- Ability to retrieve, package and present information according to the needs of the client/audience
- Operational effectiveness
- Innovation and creativity
- Client orientation, good interpersonal skills
- Team working and relationship management
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a strong working knowledge of the other. Ability to work in both languages is an asset.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Job Title: Administrative Assistant – RDGW
Position N°: 50064377
- The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions
- Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
The Hiring Departement/Country Office
- The various Country Office falls within one of the five (5) Regions of the Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs
- The Hub oversees a combination of country and liaison offices, as well as non-presence countries
- Under the Directorate General of the Western region, the Guinea Bissau LIAISON Office of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall administrative authority of the Country manager, the Administrative Assistant will undertake to implement the liaison office’s administrative services including accounting and budgeting, human resources activities and supervision of use of office facilities and resources
- He/she will carry out effective recording, control and management of Bank resources, the Office’s operational activities in keeping with the Bank’s policies and guidelines
Other specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
Budget preparation and Implementation:
- Participate in drawing up the administrative budget of the Bank’s Office following the schedule set by the Budget Department while taking into account the particular investment needs of the Office;
- Ensure recording, up-dating and monitoring expenditure in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures.
- Report periodically on the status of budget implementation and propose possible revisions.
- Establishing procedures and controls to improve efficiency of service and identify cost savings and promote efficient use of Bank resources.
- Advise the management on methods to improve control environment in the Country Office.
Finance and Accounting:
- Ensure timely payments of all bills for the office in line with established financial procedures and regulations.
- Ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Process for payment and maintain individual staff mission expenditure; advances and balances.
- Keep and maintain daily updates of all the required Country Office books of accounts, records, inventory and files in order, and all financial transactions captured and entered in SAP.
- Produce for review and final approval of the Resident Representative, all the Office monthly financial and budget execution reports.
- Undertake timely preparation and verification of reports, statements and schedules for auditing of the Country Office activities.
Human Resources Management:
- Keep all staff records/files up-dated.
- Up-date and submit monthly reports on personnel management.
- Manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force.
General Administration: institutional procurement of goods and services and Management of property and equipment:
- Undertake procurement of goods and services in keeping with the Bank’ rules and procedures.
- Manage the preparation and monitoring of service providers’ contracts.
- Keep stock of office supplies and inventory of Bank property and equipment.
- Management of office vehicles in accordance with the bank’s transport policy and instructions in force.
- Ensure the quality of Bank facilities in Guinee Bissau, including workspaces, property and equipment as well as service provision relating to the upkeep, maintenance and security of facilities according to Bank standards.
- Organize, supervise and monitor the activities of administrative staff and ensure appropriate training for the latter in order to obtain quality services.
- Ensure all administrative documents necessary for the proper functioning of the office and staff are obtained from the relevant authorities.
- Proper management and control of office stores and petty cash.
- Ensure administrative support to all the Country Office staff and bank’s visiting mission as required.
- Ensure that proper filing is undertaken in the Country Office;
- Ensure that proper control mechanism and segregation of duties are in place, and that Bank procedures are fully implemented.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, and/or Finance;
- Membership to an internationally recognized professional accounting body (e.g. CA, CPA, and ACCA) will be considered as an added advantage
- At least six (6) years of relevant work experience. Experience in a similar post in a multilateral organization will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in administrative; financial accounting and full range of office support work, with a high level of sustained performance.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (SAP, Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other;
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th August, 2018.
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).