African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Interpretation Operations Assistant, CHLS2
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Reference: ADB / 20 / 030
Position N°: 50001473
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division:
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission.
- The Interpretation Division (CHLS.2) provides interpretation services for all statutory bodies of the Bank (Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors and their subsidiary organs), various organizational units of the Banks, as well as for meetings co-organized by the Bank with external stakeholders and development partners.
- Within CHLS.2, the Senior Interpretation Operations Assistant coordinates administrative and operational activities and provides language support and other forms of assistance to the Division Manager and the team of interpreters for all interpretation related matters.
- He/She operates the interpretation management software and prepares statistical reports for Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administrative, Client Relations and Operational Activities:
- Handle administrative tasks in the Division and support the team in operational activities;
- Support the recruitment of all freelance interpreters for the Bank Annual Meetings and during other High-level Events, Conferences and Seminars organized by the Bank;
- Provide logistical support for the division’s meetings by organizing the venue and preparing reports thereon;
- Assist interpreters in the preparation of missions and meetings, and maintain all relevant records;
- Prepare background documentation for interpreters with the help of user departments;
- Assist in the preparation of the daily, weekly and monthly schedule of assignments of staff and freelance interpreters;
- Serve as interface with clients and manage relations and communications with user departments Bank-wide and external partners outside the Bank;
- Ensure the smooth functioning of the interpretation management software which the Division uses for the coordination of all interpretation assignments;
Reporting and Contract Management Activities:
- Prepare, manage and monitor the execution of contracts with freelance interpreters from inception to payments and produce quarterly reports thereon;
- Prepare weekly and monthly analytical reports capturing data on the productivity of staff and freelance interpreters;
- Produce ad hoc reports, at the request of the Division Manager, on the recruitment of consultants highlighting the trends and challenges recorded during major events and peak periods;
Implementation of Rules and Procedures:
- Monitor the implementation of the rules and procedures for the recruitment of freelance interpreters in accordance with the Guidance Note on the recruitment of language service professionals and provide quarterly updates on status of compliance;
- Participate, as the first point of contact with clients, in the sensitization of user departments on the provision of interpretation services;
- Provide logistical support and secretarial assistance to the Division’s Technical Committee that oversees the admission of freelance interpreters into the CHLS’s roster of language service professionals;
- Develop operating procedures for the interpretation management system, including monitoring mechanisms, data input and collection, daily running and assistance to users.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Languages, Business Administration, Information Technology or in any related discipline, preferably supplemented with courses in secretarial training/administration/office management.
- At least six years of relevant experience.
- Good communicator (written and oral communication), problem-solver, client-oriented, team player.
- Good office management skills, familiarity with statistical analysis and data production and reporting systems
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Capacity to overcome work pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Client focused and strong interpersonal skills,
- Ability to communicate efficiently (written and oral) in English and French.
- Excellent writing skills and a sound mastery of various language standards.
- Ability to use all the Microsoft standard software used in the Bank and Familiarity with interpretation management software and ADB budget processes (SAP, SRAS) and procurement systems
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 6th May, 2020.
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.