African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. We are recruiting ti fill the position below:
Job Title: Water and Sanitation Officer, AHWS2
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Position Number: 50065575
Position Grade: PL3
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priorites of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities.
- The Vice-Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is part of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP). The Department is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High5s (Power and Light Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life).
- Through its two Divisions: AHWS.l for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS.2 for water security and sanitation in the East and Southern Africa, and Nigeria Country, AHWS.3 for Water Security and Sanitation in the West, Central and Northern Africa, and the African Water Facility (AWF), the Department supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation.
- In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
- The Water Security & Sanitation Division (AHWS2) Division works in tandem with AHWS1, AHWS2 and the AWF to provide the Bank’s thought-leadership for water development and sanitation in Africa.
- The Department and AHWS2 play lead role in supporting Africa to attain water security through the provision of technical expertise, generation and dissemination of pertinent sector knowledge and fostering strategic partnerships.
- Specifically, in line with the mandate of the Department, AHWS.2 provides guidance in the following thematic areas, among others: (i) integrated & transboundary water resources development and management for water security; (ii) water supply for all; (iii) sanitation for all; and, (iv) water sector governance; as well as the cross-cutting areas including gender, climate change, private sector engagement and fragility.
The Chief Water and Sanitation Officer, reporting functionally to the Division Manager, AHWS.2 and administratively to RDGS, has the following work objectives:
- Liaising with Southern Africa regional and country level stakeholders, and other global partners, and maintaining close collaboration with regional hubs, country offices and other water related complexes in the Bank, the purpose of this job is to develop pertinent knowledge and provide technical/investment guidance, expertise and strategic direction on sustainable and affordable water and sanitation service delivery models/technologies, best international practices, sector strategies and policies for both urban and rural areas.
- Contributing to the development and attainment of the regional water security, sanitation and hygiene agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water and sanitation for all and thereby contribute to the improvement of quality of life of the people in the Southern Africa Sub-region.
- Develop the Bank’s business in the sector and contribute to the performance of the sector portfolio in the Southern Africa Sub-region.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, AHWS.2, the Chief Water and Sanitation Officer, will be responsible for the following:
Policies and Strategies, and Business Plans:
- Monitor the implementation of the Bank’s new water policy and strategy, and lead the promotion and dissemination among the regional and country level stakeholders;
- Lead the review, preparation and update of Bank’s business plans and guidelines related to water and sanitation sector, and contribute to other Bank’s business and strategies from water resources management, water supply and sanitation perspectives;
- Lead the contribution of the division for review, updating or preparation of national water and sanitation policies, strategies, institutional sector reforms and investment plans towards the achievement of national development goals and the SDGs;
- Lead the review process of project proposals prepared by Bank’s clients and provide guidance on Bank’s water policy and strategy and its operational priorities;
- Participate in promoting or strengthening public private partnerships (PPP) in the water and sanitation sector.
Business Development, Lending and Portfolio Management:
- Liaise and build relationship with potential public and private clients, and contribute to the building of partnerships in the sector.
- Lead or participate in Bank’s missions for business development, collect, examine and analyse needs and requirements of clients for potential pipeline programs or projects in the sector.
- Lead or participate in missions for project or program identification, preparation and appraisal, and their eventual processing for approval.
- Collaborate with the Legal and other departments in preparation of loan agreements, organize and participate in negotiation and follow-up of agreement signatures.
- Lead the contribution of the sector in portfolio performance reviews pertaining to the experience in the water and sanitation sector.
- Supervise and carry out active and effective project portfolio management and administration of loans and grants, plan the monitoring of approved projects to ensure their implementation in accordance with agreed objectives.
- Coordinate and manage the input of other Bank experts for effective and efficient portfolio management and administration and support to clients.
- Promote and contribute towards the integration of inclusive and green growth in the sector operations addressing issues of gender, climate change and fragility.
- Lead or participate in project reviews and preparation of project completion reports.
- Provide support to Bank’s clients in understanding and implementing Bank Group policies and procedures as well as issues related to the implementation of projects and programmes and resource use.
- Participate in country sector reviews and joint water donor working groups with other multilateral and bilateral institutions and other national agencies for a robust lending program and implementation of the Bank’s operations.
Analytic Work and Knowledge Management:
- Undertake analytical work to generate and disseminate knowledge products on water and sanitation, water resources management and institutional development to inform the pipeline of projects;
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping support in the preparation of country and/or sector studies to promote inclusive, sustainable and affordable water and sanitation services at country level;
- Lead the preparations of water sector diagnostic notes for the preparation of Country Strategy
Papers and/or their mid-term reviews, and contribute to the programming at country or regional level;
- Contribute technical inputs to the community of practice on water supply and sanitation to facilitate knowledge exchange within the Bank and to harmonize service standards across the regional hubs;
- Contribute to the Bank’s capacity development programs for Bank staff and RMCs related to water and sanitation.
Coordination, Collaboration and Strategic Partnerships:
- Contribute to the Bank’s engagement and collaborations with key external stakeholders, regional bodies and development partners in advancing Africa’s water security;
- Identify and coordinate the co-financing needs of the Division’s projects/programs and make funding proposals, and actively engage with bi-lateral and multilateral partners and funds management;
- Contribute and participate in sector coordination mechanisms at country or regional level and enhance the visibility of the Bank;
- Represent the Bank and contribute to the regional sector dialogue in water and other international fora;
- Provide support for annual work plan and budget preparation of the sector Department’s activities;
- Contribute and coordinate the water sector input in the regional and country programming and work plans;
- Contribute to the sector department’s responsibility for the coordination of water and sanitation related interventions across complexes;
- Participate in or coordinate the preparation of internal reports and documents of the Department or other departments/units of the Bank, or provide expert advice and help working
groups to improve the quality of Bank reports in-house and outside the division;
- Lead the coordination of water and sanitation activities with other task managers in the region for sharing of knowledge and experiences;
- Provide guidance and mentorship to the Division’s junior experts in relation to the Bank’s policy and
procedures in general and on the methodology of project design and portfolio management activities.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Resources, Finance, Investment, Business or related discipline.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in the water and sanitation sector.
- A very good understanding of water supply, sanitation and water resources issues, trends, challenges and opportunities in Africa.
- Ability to identify and articulate policy and strategic issues and to provide sound advice.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, synthesize complex issues and communicate them effectively orally and in written briefs.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering high quality complex lending operations, operational products and services (operational analyses, research advice, sectoral studies and review) in water and sanitation.
- Good communication skills and ability to build effective working relationships in a diverse multicultural environment.
- Experience with International Development Institutions in developing countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French. A working knowledge of the other will be an asset.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 5th September, 2021.
Important Information and Notice:
- This position is classified as an international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: [email protected]
Apply for this Position: