African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Macroeconomist Local Professional (ECVP)
Location: Burkina-Faso; Ghana; Rwanda; Kenya; Mali; Senegal
Grade: LP4 / LP5
Position N°: 50067767 / 50070436 / 50067853 / 50067489 / 50069310 / 50067892
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’
- The Complex is responsible for:
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy;
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
The local Macroeconomist will focus on effectively supporting
- The monitoring of the economic and social situation in the country covered,
- Economic and sector work to deepen country knowledge and,
- The preparation of Country Strategy Papers and other relevant documents (mid-term review, completion report, etc.).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management, the local Macroeconomist will:
- Analyze the economic and financial situations of assigned Regional Member Countries, using internal and external information sources, and determine the implications for the programming and updating of Bank Group operations such as defined in the Country Strategy Paper.
- Participate in the preparation and monitor implementation of measures under budget support loans in collaboration with the Governance, Economic & Financial Management Department; and in the preparation of information notes on economic reforms programs and institutional support;
- Participate in aid coordination activities with bilateral and multilateral donors with emphasis on promoting the co-financing of projects and programmes.
- Participate in country dialogue
- Participate in the preparation of annual and triennial lending programmes
- Develop and build client relations at all levels and plays a promotional role in generating new business for the Bank.
- Examine the impact of Bank Group operations in the countries concerned,
- Undertake assigned Economic and Sector Work, focusing mainly on preparing papers on relevant economic and financial issues in the development process.
- Identify, prepare, evaluate and monitor the implementation of macroeconomic programmes.
- Carry out the analysis required to prepare Country Strategy Papers based on the regional member countries’ poverty reduction and growth promotion strategies and/or the Governments’ Development Agendas, and the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy and High 5s,
- Maintain effective communication with the sector departments and divisions, and other relevant units in the Bank to ensure a coordinated approach in the implementation of the Bank’s Strategy and lending operations in assigned country.
- Participate in Country Portfolio Reviews.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics and other relevant fields and related disciplines.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to deliver results on time.
- Problem solving capabilities coupled to innovation skills and change management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience working on African Development Issues in an international organization, national government or a reputable organization.
- Good grasp of the developing countries in general and of the country covered in particular; experience in macroeconomic management issues and the economics of development.
- Technical and quantitative skills as an applied development macroeconomist.
- Policy dialogue skills; including ability to effectively interact with national authorities and technical and financial partners on policy and aid coordination issues;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th July, 2018.