African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency – PERN0
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Grade: EL 5
Position N°: 50092420
- The Vice-Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- To provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions;
- To develop new financing instruments;
- To act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department
- Within this new Complex, there is a Directorate in charge of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (PERN). The Directorate has the broad objective of promoting the development of renewable energy across Africa, energy efficiency and clean cooking solutions. It is the responsibility of the Director to lead the team that will deliver these objectives for the Bank and for the Bank’s Regional Member Countries (“RMCs”).
- The Team will drive the Bank’s initiatives in the sector, lead programmes with both public and private sector projects, as well as the dialogue with clients on both on-grid, off-grid and mini-grid solutions.
- The PEVP Complex will oversee strategy and policy development in the energy systems space; build alignment across stakeholders and represent the Bank with external stakeholders; originate projects, develop new, innovative financing instruments; and ensure delivery of the “Light Up and Power Africa” agenda.
- The Complex will originate and execute both public and private sector transactions in partnership with our regional offices and other Departments of the Complex.
- The Director has overall responsibility for the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Directorate (PERN) and will have the mandate to support the Bank’s Regional Member Countries, and African sub regions, to develop renewable energy, energy efficiency and clean cooking as part of their energy systems – through a combination of public and private sector operations.
- The Director will supervise the Division Managers for Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency and Clean Cooking and Energy Initiatives in this role to (i) promote the development of renewable energy across the African continent and position the Bank as a knowledge and thought leader on renewable energy, (ii) promote energy efficiency along with clean cooking and (iii) implement various initiatives with RMCs, donors and other stakeholders.
- The Director will also be responsible for coordinating delivery of relevant flagship programmes – Desert to Power, the DESCO financing programme, Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa, the Green mini-grid market development programme and the Facility for Energy Inclusion, among others. The role entails substantial engagement with external partners in coordination with other departments of the Bank to mobilize climate funds and co-financing.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth(PEVP), the Director, Renewable Energy and Energy efficiency (PERN) will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that the Directorate provides support to RMCs to ensure the effective implementation of the renewable energy components of their NDCs;
- Ensure that the Directorate assists Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in setting conducive enabling policy and regulatory environment (including the setting up of quality standards) for the development of renewable energy, off-grid / mini-grid access, energy efficiency and clean cooking solutions;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides technical advice to support distributed energy projects and increase access to finance through dedicated facilities, extension of guarantees;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides technical advice to support catalytic energy efficiency projects and increase access to finance for small scale energy efficiency projects;
- Ensure that the Directorate provides technical advice to support clean cooking-related investments including supply-side support to SMEs providing clean cooking solutions and promotion of clean cooking on the demand side.
- Liaise with the Energy Financial Solutions Department on regulatory matters and the structuring and financial analysis of complex / innovative projects which provide, energy efficiency and clean cooking;
- Help position the Bank as a knowledge and thought leader in relevant areas;
- Foster an environment that stimulates and rewards innovation, creativity and accountability for results, and motivate staff to deliver significant impact on the ground;
- Oversee the Fund for Energy Inclusion managed by an external fund manager;
- Oversee the Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) and drive its replenishment with SEFA 2.0.
- Undertake any other task as the Vice President Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth may assign
- Coordinate the implementation of relevant flagships to ensure delivery of the New Deal on Energy;
- Supervise the Renewable Energy Division to promote the development of renewable energy across the African continent and position the Bank, not only as a knowledge and thought leader on renewable energy, but also as an efficient and innovative partner of RMCs and of the private sector in financing and implementing renewable projects;
- Supervise the Energy Efficiency and Clean Cooking Division to promote energy efficiency along with clean cooking;
- Supervise the Energy Initiatives work stream to promote and implement various initiatives with various stakeholders;
- Ensure that the divisions engage with Hub teams in the process of identification, preparation, implementation and monitoring of operations related to renewable energy, off-grid access, energy efficiency and clean cooking;
- Liaise with regional and country offices to develop and implement bankable renewable energy pipelines in the RMCs;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Candidates with exposure to utility scale renewable energy project development and medium/small scale RE solutions will be prioritized;
- Longstanding experience in climate finance will be an advantage;
- Ability to innovate and create approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients;
- Ability to communicate effectively and mobilize key actors to delivery (private sector, public sector and civil society);
- Proven ability to build multi-organization partnerships to manage complex objectives;
- Proven ability to build and direct a high performing team to achieve visionary and challenging goals;
- Inspirational leader who can motivate others to execute quality outcomes in complex and challenging environments;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide leadership to different team members;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Electrical Engineering, renewable energy, climate change or related subjects; additional qualification, preferably in Sciences, Economy and Finance is desirable.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of professional work in areas related to energy financing, some of which in Africa; five (5) years of which should have been at managerial role and/or in supervising a team and coordinating work programs or projects;
- Deep exposure and understanding of the international agenda and geopolitics of renewable energy, climate change and green growth;
- Wide networks and experience with international institutions and agencies working on renewable energy and climate change in Africa and globally, including the UNFCC, the Global Climate Fund (GCF), the Global Environmental Facility (GEF), the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the Africa Union Commission (AUC), the Africa Ministerial Conference on the Environment (AMCEN), Conference of Energy Ministers of Africa (CEMA), amongst others relevant for effective implementation of renewable energy projects, climate mitigation policy, etc.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with oversight bodies such as multi-national
- Boards of Executive Directors and Governors and other senior government officials.
- Clear understanding of the drivers and barriers to success in complex regulatory, political and cultural environments;
- Deep knowledge of the development of renewable energy across Africa with experience of completing integrated assessments of technical and economic potential of renewable energy;
- Knowledge of energy efficiency issues and clean cooking solutions;
- Familiarity with the work of multilateral Development Finance Institutions;
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills aligned with the ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and regulations;
- Experience in forging and managing relationships with a variety of stakeholders – local organizations, governments and financing institutions.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th December, 2018.