African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Protocol Officer – PSEG.2
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50050727
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department
The role of the Banks’ Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank.
The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of:
- The Immediate Office of the Secretary General which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section, the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section and a Conferences and Meetings Section;
- A Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; and
- A Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division.
The main functions of the Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division and Diplomatic Missions consist of providing protocol services and managing relations with the Bank Group Headquarters or Country Office host countries as well as diplomatic missions.
The specific role of the Principal Protocol Officer is to provide protocol assistance for the President of the Bank, Elected Officers, Senior Management and Special Guests:
- Assist in the monitoring of the implementation of the Headquarters Agreement and the Agreements establishing the regional or country offices and representations, as well as the immunities, privileges and exemptions extended to the Bank and its staff;
- Contribute to the monitoring of relations with the host countries,
- Assist in the management of relations with diplomatic missions,
- Participate actively in the management of ceremonies and events and
- Management of high-level visits at the Bank
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chief Protocol Officer and overall oversight from the Division Manager, the Principal Protocol Officer will:
- Contribute in the monitoring of the implementation of the Headquarters Agreement as well as agreements establishing regional or country offices and representations and carry out administrative coordination in respect of any disputes arising in that regard;
- Formulate, transmit and follow up, in conjunction with the competent host country authorities, requests for tax exemption, long-stay visas, diplomatic and international organization cards, vehicle registration and VAT exoneration, and administer and follow up dossiers for presentation of newly recruited staff to host country authorities;
- Follow up any diplomatic disputes arising in the application of these agreements, in close collaboration with the Legal Services Department (PGCL); ensure proper conservation of authorized signatory records and other legal documents processed in the Division;
- Work with the Bank Security Unit (PSEC), all activities pertaining to the security of the institution’s staff; participate in the Bank in dealings with the host country authorities (mainly Ministry of Foreign Affairs) concerning security of diplomatic missions and international organizations;
- Draft notes on the status of ADB relations with the host country and briefs for the Board of Directors concerning any attacks on Bank Staff and families;
- Assist the Bank regional or country offices and representations on immunities, privileges and exemptions, and related administrative formalities and processes;
- Prepare and participate in meetings organized by the host country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on management of privileges and immunities granted to the Bank and its staff;
- Contribute to organization of the election of the President and Executive Directors of the Bank;
- Prepare and produce reports on internal coordination of meetings with the staff under his/her supervision;
- Manage ceremonies and events, including, but not limited to, the Bank’s Annual Meetings, ADF Meetings, loan, guarantee or grant agreement signing ceremonies, and all other meetings, conferences and events organized or sponsored by the Bank;
- Assist in the management of high-level visits, including visits by Heads of State and Government, Governors of the Bank, Ministers and other high-level guests;
- Manage relations between the Bank, foreign diplomatic representations to facilitate travel of the President and staff on official mission or private travel;
- Manage relations between the Bank and other international organizations, particularly in planning for the participation of the President and Bank delegations in high-level meetings;
- Perform related duties assigned by the Division Manager.
- Provide Protocol services for the President of the Bank, in particular by assisting the President at the airport, accompanying him on missions; ensuring protocol coverage of his official activities, such as lunches, dinners, high-level visits, and during the Bank’s Annual Meetings, etc.;
- Provide Protocol services for Elected Officers, Senior Management and Special Guests, in particular by assisting them at the airport, during the Bank’s Annual Meetings and other official functions;
- Assist in carrying out the Division’s missions, essentially pertaining to the management of the Bank’s relations with the host countries;
- Participate in negotiations on the Headquarters Agreement, as well as the agreements for establishment of regional or country offices and representations, and specifically: prepare draft documents, memoranda, all notes verbal or correspondence relating to his /her duties and generally in all tasks entrusted to him/her by the Division Manager;
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- A good knowledge of Bank rules, policies and procedures, as well as diplomatic norms, Headquarters and other establishing agreements, very good diplomatic writing skills
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- A good knowledge of diplomatic norms and practices
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP (or other integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages) is an added advantage
- At least a Masters’ degree in Public International Law or equivalent qualification International Relations, Political Science, Diplomacy or a similar or related field. A certificate of training in Protocol and/or diplomacy will be advantage.
- A minimum of 6 years’ professional experience holding a diplomatic position or a position in a multilateral development bank.
- Experience in public administration and law, planning and organization of high level meetings and events management.
- Excellent communication skills, good analytical and negotiation skills. A keen sense of initiative and anticipation as well as creativeness, rigorous and methodical approach
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 22nd October, 2018.
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.