African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advisor to the Vice-President – AHSA
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 30/07/2018
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human and Social Development comprises 5 departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry; (ii) Agricultural Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
- The Complex will drive the Bank’ bold vision and focus on “Feed Africa and Improve Life in Africa”.
The Advisor to the Vice President reports to the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development. The main objectives are to:
- Ensure the achievement of the Complex’s deliverables and Key Performance Indicators;
- Ensure quality control of various reports/documents submitted by the Departments;
- Provide critical analysis of strategies, policies, directives and advise on procedures, approaches for the implementation of the Complex mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development, the Advisor works closely with the entire team in the front office in support of the Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development in the following areas:
- Support and advise the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development in the coordination of the Bank’s Operational activities through the Operations Committee, as well as other relevant platforms. Among other things, this entails reviewing documents submitted for the Operations Committee consideration and advising the Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development as appropriate. In this capacity the Advisor works closely with the Operations Committee Secretariat, under the overall guidance of the Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development;
- Support and advise the Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development in the coordination of the Bank’s corporate activities through the Senior Management Coordination Committee and other relevant platforms. In this regard, the Advisor will work closely with the Senior Management Coordination Committee Secretariat that reviews documentation submitted for Senior Management Coordination Committee consideration and organises regular Senior Management Coordination Committee meetings, under the overall guidance of the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development;
- Coordinate and review policies, strategies, directives and initiatives submitted by the Departments;
- Advise the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development on emerging matters of strategic, policy and institutional significance, including the formulation/update of Bank Group Policies, Strategies, and Guidelines;
- Coordinate and harmonize the preparation of the work program of the respective Departments, following up in their implementation and report periodically on the status of their progress to the Vice President.
- Advice and support the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development in all aspects related to performance indicators and report periodically on the status of their progress;
- Coordinate and monitor progress on the implementation of audit recommendations relating to the complex and report periodically on the status of implementation to the Vice President.
- Advise and support the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development on resource mobilisation and Donor coordination activities (e.g. Trust Funds, and General Capital Increase, etc.), including participating in related Committees and Task Forces;
- Advise and support the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development on all matters pertaining to organisational units within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex – including (I) coordinating the formulation of the Bank’s Work Program and Budget Document; (2) the Bank’s Results Measurement/Monitoring activities, (3) Decentralisation, and (4) staffing and budgetary resource requirements related to the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex;
- Support the Vice President’s participation in internal and external meetings/events – Board meeting, Bank annual general meeting, Workshops, Seminars, etc. – including preparing technical reports, briefing materials, speeches, etc.;
- Provide technical support and advice to the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development Front Office and the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex in their interaction with other complexes to ensure effective coordination and communication – including participation in activities aimed and improving Bank-wide communication and coordination, e.g. the front office forum, cross-complex coordination meetings, documents review, etc.
- Provide technical and analytical support/Advice to the Vice President Agriculture, Human and Social Development Front Office and represent the Office in relevant Bank wide committees, initiatives, task forces, etc.
- Monitor the implementation of decisions made by the Boards, the President or the Vice President in respect to Departments under the vice presidency;
- Supervise, monitor and follow-up the qualitative and quantitative performance of front-office staff on the basis of the individual staff’s agreed work program and the general evaluation procedures of the Bank;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Agriculture, Development Economics, Water Resources Management, Engineering or other relevant discipline;
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience in Development Banks or similar institutions covering multi-sector operations with 3 years in a managerial capacity;
- Knowledge of the African Development Bank Group’s Vision, Strategies, Products, Internal Processes, Standards, Policies and Procedures, Services and Business Environment;
- Knowledge of emerging trends and themes and best practices in the area of agriculture, human development and water supply and sanitation, and gender issues;
- Experience of field operations, business development, lending program and portfolio management
- Knowledge of scheduling, planning and coordinating of interrelated activities within the complex.
- Ability to review documents and synthesize for Senior Management;
- Ability to coordinate multi-sector work, and analyse complex information, to think strategically and to offer timely advice on operational matters;
- Analytical and communication skills in the execution of the duties in taking forward the Bank’s mission; strong leadership,;
- Ability to work within a team, foster team spirit and a sense of commitment in staff.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Job Title: Senior Resource Mobilization and Partnership Officer – FIRM2
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001279
- The Vice-Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group
- This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department / Division
- As part of the Finance Complex, the Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Department has fiduciary responsibility for strategic concessionary finance resource mobilization, as well as donor relationship management and reporting, with the aim to compliment and leverage the financial resources and instruments of the African Development Bank Group
- The department is comprised of two divisions whose primary, joint role is to increase the pool and types of funding available to the Bank Group’s Regional Member Countries, particularly for transformative projects in line with the Bank’s Ten-year strategy and High Five priorities.
Division 2 of the Resource Mobilization & Partnerships Department is responsible for the following corporate objectives:
- Leads the institution’s partnership with emerging shareholder countries (e.g. China, Korea, India, Brazil) and their bilateral aid agencies; and multilateral bodies including the European Union, the United Nations and African Union;
- Leads the strategic negotiations for the setting up financial vehicles and institutional frameworks necessary for the institution to accept external resources, including all co-financing facilities and trust funds financed by external partners;
- Oversees fiduciary management of the institution’s bilateral and thematic trust funds; that is, mobilize, allocate and monitor non-statutory capital ensuring compliance with the African Development Bank Group’s rules and the commitments taken upon the replenishment negotiations, as applicable;
- Monitors and manages relationships with existing and new partners, including non-sovereign partnerships such as with corporates and philanthropic foundations (e.g. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation); serving as the secretariat for the review committee for new partnerships (i.e. Standing Committee on Partnerships);
- Identifies innovative ways to partner with non-traditional donors and leverage new resource mobilization tools and approaches to evaluate their potential applicability and viability for the institution;
- Assists other organizational units of the Bank Group to identify resources for their initiatives (i.e. Jobs for Youth Program);
- Houses innovative financial products and risk mitigation instruments which catalyze private capital to finance development in Africa (e.g. Private Sector Credit Enhancement Facility) under a blended finance approach;
- Reports globally on the use of resources placed in trust at the African Development Bank Group to management and to outside parties, as required;
- Develops and disseminates to internal and external audiences communication materials, seminars and trainings, capacity building, guidance papers and policy documents on resource mobilization at the African Development Bank (e.g. Business Opportunity Seminars).
- The Senior Resource Mobilization & Partnerships Officer (PL-5) plays a central role in the department and division.
- The successful candidate would be directly implicated in mobilizing and deploying the Bank Group’s resources, by contributing to the planning, conceptualization, elaboration and operationalization of key Bank Group key resource mobilization and partnerships directive, processes, programs and projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Resource Mobilization & Partnerships Officer will:
- Facilitate the coordination and collaboration between Bank Group business units and external partners and/or sovereign donors as assigned;
- Contribute to the conceptualization, elaboration and presentation of negotiation documents relevant to the successful fundraising of new resources;
- Serve as a Fund Manager, overseeing the administration and monitoring of existing and new resource vehicles (trust funds), particularly their disbursement, and grant-level project implementation so as to ensure organizational compliance with donors’ financial and programmatic reporting requirements with a focus on impact and results for Africa’s development;
- Serve as the external focal point for assigned donors and initiatives, responding to ad hoc queries and ensuring the highest level of visibility for the partner and the uses to which resources placed in trust have been applied;
- Consistently monitor and evaluate grant-level activities of donor-funded programs and review activity progress reports, project completion reports, audit reports and other evaluation outputs from operational departments; and financial statements from the accounting department to assess corrective actions if required, and submission of documents for review by the respective donor(s), as needed;
- Provide internal stakeholders with technical advice and information on the priorities and availability of development partner and donor funding to strengthen opportunities for fundraising of targeted Bank Group initiatives
- Contribute to key processes for the strengthening of the operational environment for resource mobilization including updating and or developing related implementation procedures and operational guidelines for receipt and use of funding or new financial instruments;
- Assist in the organization of regular internal and external outreach events for the benefit of staff and other stakeholders to explain the activities of the different funds, facilities and instruments of the Bank Group;
- Participate in and contribute to key partnerships meetings and conferences (including those with other Multilateral Development Banks and international philanthropic organizations) to seek new resource mobilization and partnership opportunities for the Bank Group;
- Contribute to the conceptualization, elaboration and presentation of Bank Group resource mobilization and negotiation documents; contribute to policy and strategy papers relevant to resource mobilization and/or negotiation process;
- Review documentation presented for review to various relevant internal committees including Operations Committee (OPSCOM) and Standing Committee on Partnerships (SCP);
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree (or its equivalent) from recognized/accredited university in either:
- Social Sciences (Law, Public Policy, International Affairs, Economics, Politics, Diplomacy, etc.),
- Economics and Finance (Accounting),
- Other relevant fields;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of practical work experience, of which at least two to three (2-3) must be related to resource mobilization and/or strategic partnerships preferably within a (i) public financial institution and/or non-profit sector; or (ii) private sector, with a clear and established operational track record in achieving results;
- Strong grasp and understanding of key trends in international development finance (e.g. climate finance issues, knowledge of ODA approaches and policies of major international donors as part of OECD-DAC, as well as emerging donors; bilateral and multilateral agency fundraising and partnership trends in the short-, medium-, and long-term) and an ability to identify the strategic fit of new partners, products and services in the global marketplace and what these may imply for the Bank Group’s fundraising efforts at any given time;
- General knowledge of the Bank Group’s shareholders, various financial vehicles and facilities, capitalization ambitions, and volume of its lending activities;
- Determined and client oriented problem solver, willing to be flexible and use innovation & creativity in the face of challenges;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and/or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Ability to demonstrate cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software a plus.
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Job Title: Senior Power Engineer – RDGE1
Position N°: 50073195
- The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa:
- North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The position is situated in the Eastern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office.
- The Senior Power Engineer is responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of energy sector projects. In this work, the incumbent interacts closely with other staff members in the following complexes; Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization; Agriculture, Human and Social Development; and Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth.
- The incumbent is directly involved in the development cycle from identification of opportunities in line with the High 5s to their approval by the Bank’s Boards of Directors.
- As part of the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the incumbent contributes to the delivery of the ‘Power and Light Up Africa’, ‘Integrate Africa’, ‘Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa’ and the ‘Industrialize Africa’ Strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the incident management processes, service request fulfillment processes and problem management processes are followed during the provision of support services on business application systems.
- Deliver a service-orientated and quality-driven culture across the business application support services
- As focal point for business application support services, liaise with business clients and departments and ensure all services are rendered to the business as per service level agreement (SLAs).
- Inform the Principal Service Desk Officer / Chief Service Desk Coordinator in case of major incidents
Selection Criteria (Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience)
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Sector Manager (RDGE1), the Senior Power Engineer will perform the following:
Business Development and Pipeline management:
- Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the RMCs and regional economic communities based on their priorities and selectivity;
- Liaise with other development partners in order to identify opportunities for co-financing and other partnerships;
- Provide inputs for the power sector into the Bank’s pipeline of projects;
- Provide support to the Regional Member Countries (RMC) and bank teams in the origination, preparation, structuring and implementation of complex and innovative projects.
- Work with Region / Hub-based staff and relevant governance/risk/ compliance units, in the process of identification, preparation and execution of Sovereign (SO) and Non-Sovereign (NSO) operations, as well as in conducting policy/result based operations and technical assistance related to the above topics;
- Contribute to solving issues related to energy sector development including advice to RMCs for promoting policies conducive to strong growth/development of the energy sector as well as other areas of activity of the Division (creation of an enabling environment for private sector investments in energy projects, corporate governance);
- Review the various proposals and communications sent to the Bank by its partner, clients and RMCs; and take appropriate action, including issuing of technical opinion on government submissions to the Bank, drafting of responses and/or reports/presentations and internal or external follow-up. This includes, inter alia, preparation of bidding documents, bid evaluation reports, quarterly progress reports, request for extension of contracts or LDD (Last Disbursement Date);
- Provide sector expertise for quality assurance in: preparation of terms of reference (TORs), requests for proposals (RFPs), tender documents to procure goods and/or services in line with the Bank’s procurement rules: e.g. Recruitment and supervision of expert advisors (and Bank staff) regarding execution of socio-techno-economic (pre-) – feasibility studies and utility performance diagnostics;`
- Task-manage the Bank’s energy sector projects in Ethiopia and carry out all regular portfolio management activities, including interaction with Project Management Units (PMUs) or Project Implementation Units (PIU) to guide, monitor and follow-up on implementation issues; lead and supervise all procurement and disbursement activities related to the Bank’s energy sector projects in Ethiopia;
- Undertake the supervision of the Bank’s portfolio of power sector investments, review of relevant monitoring, evaluation reports, and field inspections as necessary; and proffer measures for resolving material operational weaknesses.
- Ensure timely procurement and disbursement of active power projects in the Bank’s portfolio, liaising with Government departments and project implementation units to address blockages in project execution, using the Bank Portfolio Dashboard as main monitoring tool.
Knowledge Production and Coordination:
- Contribute to the preparation of energy sector assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSP) ; provide support to country/regional departments on policy dialogue with RMCs relating to energy sector and related issues; and provide back-up to country offices to ensure provision of quality advisory service to RMCs ;
- Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on energy sector issues and other areas relevant to the Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department;
- Represent the Bank in national and regional partnerships, networks, conferences, workshops, and training seminars on issues related to energy sector development and related issues;
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the Manager.
Competencies (Skills, Experience And Knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or Electromechanical Engineering. Additional training in management and / or economics is an asset.
- Demonstrate at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience and proven track record and analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of work on the construction of major power plants, transmission and distribution infrastructure / electrical works
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions; Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change
- Familiarity with project management and project identification procedures in Development Finance Institutions multilateral organizations, and preferably of the African Development Bank, an added advantage.
- Good command of standard software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentations). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Good working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrable analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of work on the construction of major power plants, transmission and distribution infrastructure / electrical works. Knowledge and understanding of project financing/ financial and economic appraisal would offer an advantage.
- Experience in implementing projects with public sector institutions and/or bilateral and multilateral development finance institutions will give an added advantage for this position.
- Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of government and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th August, 2018.