African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Division Manager (for East, Southern Regions and Nigeria)
Position N°: 50093600
- The Senior Vice-Presidency complex (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve it strategic objective, and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decisions-making process and the implementation of key board and management decisions.
The Hiring Department
- The SNFI department has four (04) divisions including two (02) for procurement and two (02) for financial management (FM) whose main activities are to provide support to operations complexes for ensuring that project’s fiduciary arrangements comply with Bank Fiduciary (Procurement and FM) policies and procedures and contribute to effective delivery and value for money in Bank-financed projects.
- The Manager of the Procurement Division for North, West and Center regions is anchored at the Head-Quarters and reports to the Director SNFI.
- The manager provides professional leadership in ensuring high quality performance with respect to compliance with Bank procurement policies and procedures in lending operations; and in ensuring high quality diagnostic work and country dialogue designed to support development of public procurement systems in member countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director – SNFI, the Procurement Division Manager will perform the following duties:
- Provide leadership and oversight on all aspects relating to procurement;
- Set the division work program and budget including the performance objectives of staff and regularly provide feedback, coaching and performance evaluation thereof
- Plan and prioritize procurement work and communicate the same to Task Managers, Country Managers and the Regional Operations Manager-Implementation Support ;
- Ensure effective participation of procurement staff in all project cycle activities in the respective regions, including Country Strategy Framework (CSF), preparation, appraisal, supervision and completion missions with a view to ensuring “Quality at Entry Work” and efficient delivery of the operations from the procurement perspective ;
- Provide technical leadership to the procurement function through high quality performance with respect to compliance with Bank procurement policies and procedures in lending operations; including leading the procurement and capacity risk assessment exercises in the Bank’s financed operations at country and Entities levels to ensure that appropriate risk mitigating measures are incorporated into project/program design;
- Lead initiatives to prepare Borrower’s Procurement System Assessment reports (BPAR) and dialogue with Borrowers for endorsing and implementing the resulting action plan with a view to building sound procurement systems in RMCs;
- Provide technical guidance, in particular on high-risk and complex procurement issues/complaints, within the framework of the Bank’s policies and guidelines to Task Teams, Country Procurement Specialists (CoPS) and Executing Agencies with respect to the procurement activities under projects and programs in his/her regions;
- Contribute to the development of procurement training strategy and materials for Bank Staff and Clients with a view to building procurement capacity for ensuring efficient and effective implementation of projects/programs financed by the Bank;
- Contribute to the preparation of procurement performance reports from regions under his/her responsibility, and Annual Review Reports on the application of Bank’s procurement policies in Bank Funded Operations;
- Pursue the Aid Effectiveness Agenda in supporting the Use of Country procurement Systems in Bank Funded Operations, and facilitating harmonization of Donor practices in his/her regions;
- Lead the procurement aspects of new areas of business and providing relevant information on country generic and specific issues to sector and regional staff;
- Coordinate the participation of procurement staff in donor coordination meetings within his/her regions; including representing the Bank in regional procurement workshops and other relevant forums; and
- Supervise, mentor, and coach procurement staff in regions under his/her responsibility.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in a Engineering or Business Administration or Law or Procurement or Economics
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant experience in providing procurement support and advice to the preparation and implementation of programs and projects financed by the Bank or any other similar institution in developing countries. Out of these three (03) years should be in managerial role.
- Sound knowledge of the African Development Bank’s or other multi-lateral development Banks’ Procurement Policy and Procedures
- Experience in working in multi-lateral development Banks or similar international development institutions
- Experience in supporting private sector operations
- Proven familiarity with and solid experience in the practice of procurement of goods and works and the acquisition of consultancy services under donor funding conditions, and knowledge of the Bank Procurement policy
- Ability to be flexible, open-minded with integrity, client and results oriented for achieving both Bank’s and Borrowers’ objectives
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable Sector Staff and Borrowers build their confidence and skills to deal with procurement issues
- Strong planning, organization, and time management skills
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good networking skills and judgment which are required in the management of professional relationships with procurement and sector specialists working in the regions
- Demonstrated ability to mentor less senior staff
- Skills in supervising and effectively managing implementation of development projects and programs
- Innovation & Creativity
- Client Orientation
- Problem Solving
- Team working and relationships
- Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French and able to work in English;
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2018.