The African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) was formed in 2002 in Abuja Nigeria, primarily to promote cooperation, security, social and economic development and poverty eradication among member states through the effective management of the continent’s water resources and provision of water supply services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief of Finance and Administration
The Chief of Finance and Administration functions as a strategic thought-partner to the Executive Secretary (ES) and is a hands-on and participative senior manager, who leads and develops an internal team to support the following areas:
- Accounting and financial reporting
- Business planning, budgeting and cost control
- Human resources
- Information Technology
- The Chief of Finance and Administration plays a critical role in partnering with the Secretariat leadership and senior management team in strategic decision making and operations management, supporting the Secretariat in continuously developing its strategic “think tank” capacities in AMCOW’s thematic areas of focus, and also enhancing its quality programming and build its institutional capacity.
The scope of this position’s responsibilities consists of the following:
- Recruit, organize, instruct and lead the management team and all staff positions that are under the Chief of Finance and Administration.
- Together with the ES, represent the Secretariat in presenting financial reports, analyses and budget proposals to the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), the Executive Committee (EXCO) and the Council of Ministers of AMCOW, as well as in relations to the banks, donors, contractors, external auditors, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure the timely and accurate development of statutory financial reports of the Secretariat in accordance with IPSAS, fiscal regulations of the Secretariat’s country of residence, as well as other project specific reports, in accordance with relevant donor requirements.
- Cooperate and coordinate activities with the internal audit function to optimize the internal control environment with a goal to optimize operational, financial and strategic performance, and safeguard of assets; as well as enhance compliance of the Secretariat with the respective governance framework, internal regulations, and the abiding legal and regulatory framework.
- Propose improvements, updates and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the financial unit’s overall policy and procedure manual aiming to enhance the accuracy and transparency of financial information, promote innovation, mitigate overall business/ operational risks, and strengthen the internal control environment.
- Ensure the presentation of financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual financial statements; collate and consolidate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial project/program accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the EXCO, and assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ES and the other Head of Departments in the senior management team; administer and review all financial plans and core Secretariat operational as well as project/program budgets; monitor and analyse progress and changes; and keep the ES duly informed of the institution’s financial status.
- Support and ensure a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flows are steady and support operational requirements.
- Closely monitor organizational cash flow and forecasting, as well as fund availability accordingly in a way to optimize Secretariat’s financial position.
- Establish and maintain sound relationships with AMCOW stakeholders such as the TAC, EXCO and the Council of Ministers, in addition to key strategic stakeholders such as: donors, banks, insurance companies, fiscal and regulatory authorities, contractors, etc., to assure smooth operations, good compliance, healthy public relations, and positive image of the Secretariat.
Human Resources, Administration, Information Technology and Procurement:
- Provide leadership by promoting high professional ethical standards, as well a constructive teamwork, knowledge sharing and team spirit within members of the unit and amongst other units within the Secretariat, in order to create a workplace environment that facilitates sharing of ideas and focused synergized efforts to meet both unit and institutional objectives.
- Routinely monitor the implementation of established Human Resources procedures, which are established, implemented and maintained, based on the Secretariat Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Assure high professionalism, transparency and effectiveness in recruitment procedures enabling recruitment of superior core business and project professionals and support staff, which would then contribute to the Secretariat’s strengthening and attainment of goals.
- Instil a support attitude and function for the responsibilities addressed under this area of the Secretariat, while still emphasizing the adherence to well defined regulations, rules, procedures, and protocols.
The position will have four (4) direct reports:
- Accounting/Financial Reporting Manager
- Human Resources, Procurement and Administration Manager
- Financial Budgeting and Cost Control Manager
- IT Officer
- At least 12 years of overall professional accounting and financial management experience; ideally six-plus years of broad, hands-on financial and operations management experience in a similar environment of an intergovernmental, a not-for-profit or non-budgetary institution.
- Successful track record of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, financial controls and audit coordination for a significant program or organization, and preferably with supervisory experience over administration and human resources functions.
- Proven commitment to excellence and continuing learning programs and experiences that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and high profile external stakeholders.
- A track record of successful management and in meeting personal and organizational objectives.
- Strong and demonstrated ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues, who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Experience selecting, adapting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting, financial reporting, financial management, human resources and asset management software.
- Experience or familiarity with the water sector development in Africa is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply