The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent medical aid organization based in Dakar, Senegal. ALIMA has three principal areas of expertise: providing medical care in humanitarian crises, supporting the development of national medical organizations, and conducting operational research to bring medical innovation to the field.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
Working conditions: Contract
- The Alliance for International Medical Action is recruiting for its project in ASKIRA-UBA
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to ALIMA obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensure the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC and CEmONC), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols.
- WherePMTCT is implemented, ensure implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborate with the medical doctor and /or nurse in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assess the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensure hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to ALIMA specifications.
- Guarantee a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly follow up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensure patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Ensure that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with ALIMA protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participate in the organisation of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor. Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to ALIMA protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventionsSupervises the use of drugs, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point.
- Essential: midwifery qualification or specialization.
- Essential: working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs.
- Essential: mission language; local working language would be an asset.
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
Application Closing Date
3rd June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s, qualifications and a Cover Letter with contact details to: [email protected]
- Please make sure to submit your application on or before this date.
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.