Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali, Cairo and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Manager – Engineering Experience (HRBP)
Locations: Lagos (Nigeria) Nairobi (Kenya)
About the Role
- You will act as a primary point of contact for a designated engineering pod of up to 300 engineers and partner engineering team members, serving as a connector to internal functions, an advisor on all people processes, procedures, and initiatives.
- The Senior Manager-HRBP will be a key driver of performance management and change management across their pod influencing culture and the future of engineering at Andela.
- This role reports into a Director Level HRBP
- Andela is seeking an HR business partner (HRBP) to support Andela’s scaling engineering experience group by being a trusted business partner to our engineers and partner engineering groups
- You will play a critical role in the design and implementation of strategic initiatives to retain and grow our most prized asset – our people!
- This is an amazing opportunity for a passionate and talented HRBP to innovate alongside a stellar growing team and equally passionate and driven managers
- No two days will be the same and the work is challenging and rewarding.
Strategy Development and Implementation:
- Work closely with the head of Engineering Experience to understand organizational challenges and design/implement creative solutions
- Coordinate and support the implementation of strategic initiatives within your pod and more broadly
- Support your pod and managers within it to cultivate a high performance culture, and ensure that performance management experiences are effective and empowering, prioritising fairness and objectivity
- Advise managers on team performance management via a data driven approach
- Work proactively to identify underperformance and address thoughtfully, manage underperformance professionally and swiftly when
- Connect engineers to compelling learning and development opportunities, mentorship, coaching for performance and growth, advising on career opportunities
- Support leaders and managers on talent mapping and reviews to ensure implementation of recommendations from the Talent Development team.
- Develop and implement workforce retention, career and succession strategies.
Organization Design and Change Management:
- Implement effective change management strategies, providing subject matter expertise on risk mitigation and change delivery.
- Support the implementation of OD strategy plans and also identifying risks and impact to delivery.
Coach, Inspire, Influence:
- Nurturing, coaching and mentoring engineers and managers within your pod as well as more junior Engineering Experience team members.
- Works in partnership with leaders to provide challenge, legal guidance and advice in dealing with difficult people issues in a fair, straightforward manner and without delay.
- Serve as an escalation point for your pod and your direct reports
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with key stakeholders
- Coach leaders/managers on proper management and communication practices.
- Work closely and effectively with other cross-functional HRBP’s, People operations and Centres of excellence teams to identify best practice and use it to define effective business interventions.
- Share knowledge and insights with the wider People team to help shape best practise and ensure business goals are in line with org-wide strategy
- Significant and relevant professional experience most of which should be in an advisory HR role
- Strong interest in leveraging data to inform decisions (don’t worry if you aren’t an expert we have some of those!)
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environment with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Solid track record in design and implementation of employee engagement strategies that have meaningfully impacted the individual and organization experience
- Previous experience in coaching employees and management through complex, difficult issues
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable Global labour laws into local practices as required. Experience with other African countries a plus
- Have a strong sense of business ethics and ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of Human Resources Management Processes, Culture and Performance Management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, stellar emotional intelligence with a specific focus on self moderation, cultivating relationships and empathy.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written, the ability to present and facilitate effectively. Storytelling via presentations is a strongly preferred skill.
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with senior leaders, challenge the thinking of others in respectful and thoughtful ways, influence upwards
- Big picture thinker, a “never settle’ mindset
Benefits & Compensation
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply