Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice President of Engineering
About the Role
- Andela’s Technology group is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality while providing excellent service internally and externally.
- We are developing tech to support both the supply side and demand side of Andela’s software developer marketplace. This includes technology such as Learning Management Software (LMS), student acquisition funnel capabilities, staffing optimization and auto-matching technology, partner portal marketplace access, holistic reporting and data analytics, etc. We build and integrate great tech to drive Andela’s business
- In this role, the candidate will be responsible for leading Andela’s software engineering team and drive organic development, integrate partner technologies, and evaluate technology for acquisition. Some of the technologies in use at Andela include:
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- Google Cloud
- We are looking for an experienced leader who has successfully delivered multiple SaaS apps to market. The right candidate will embrace the challenge of implementing a robust and scalable architecture to support the scaling business, delivering capabilities that maximize business value, and optimizing processes to drive maximum efficiency.
- Reporting to the CTO, you will make sure that everyone in engineering has the skills, direction, and information they need to build great products, and you will work to build a diverse team and inclusive culture that brings out the best in everyone.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Estimate projects and develop budgets/cost projections for various initiatives.
- Regularly report progress to the company and assess opportunities to improve or pivot.
- Refine metrics to measure, benchmark, and monitor the impact of tech on Andela’s business.
- Lead by example and set high standards to create an elite engineering team.
- Guide the engineering team to deliver great work while optimizing resources and processes.
- Ensure a scalable architecture that allows for rapid iteration of product that is easy to maintain.
- Build safeguards and processes that allow for rapid experimentation.
- Help set and continuously refine best in class software engineering practices.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to shape and drive the product vision for Andela.
- Grow engineering talent and skill sets across the team. Serve as a role model for developers.
- 15+ years B2B experience
- Successful development of multiple production SaaS apps serving thousands of customers
- Keen attention to detail, ability to be self-sufficient and find creative solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to a broad range of audiences
- Proven ability to manage to inspire teams to meet business commitments
- Passion for developing the next generation of technology leadership
- Strong creative, leadership and critical thinking skills
- Experience working in multiple countries and/or with international organizations
- A deep commitment to Andela’s mission and culture
- Willingness to travel to Andela’s development centers in Africa as well as to its US offices
- Senior management experience leading teams of 40-50+ people in a fast paced environments
- Hands-on, regularly weighing in on architecture, problem solving, and reviewing code
- Multiple years Implementing and optimizing distributed and remote engineering teams
- Understands how to train and grow software engineers
- Possess a servant-leadership approach to management – values coaching and developing talent
- Experienced architect designing systems for flexibility, maintainability and scalability
- Extremely comfortable in the language of data analysis, and using data to drive decision making
EPIC Values Alignment:
- Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
- The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family Interested?
- If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply