Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class developers, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Corporate Counsel
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
About the Role
- The Corporate Counsel will be an experienced generalist reporting directly to the Deputy General Counsel.
- This role provides, in a consultative approach, legal guidance to internal clients at various levels in the corporation.
- This person will interact with senior executives, including the CEO, COO and CFO, and will work remotely with the Deputy General Counsel who is located in New York.
- Among other things, the ideal candidate is likeable but firm when necessary, will possess business savvy, be able to understand and recommend constructive solutions to complex issues, apply a results oriented approach to get things done, exhibit an ability to balance legal and business perspectives so as not to interfere with the flow of the business, have a proven track record in drafting and negotiating contracts with a firm understanding of the market Andela is in and will have been embraced by their business counterparts as an indispensable part of their team.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Advising senior management and business partners on all aspects of commercial transactions.
- Negotiating and drafting M&A transactions.
- Advising and assisting partner experience team to resolve customer concerns.
- Managing corporate governance, including board and shareholder materials.
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials, website content and press releases to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Creating and implementing corporate policies.
- Drafting/reviewing incentive compensation plans.
- Advising on employment law matters, including disputes with competitors regarding non-compete and non-solicit agreements.
- Advising on intellectual property matters, including proactive cease and desist demands.
- Support Andela’s sales organization (new sales and partner experience).
- Working on financing transactions, including an initial public offering.
- Intellectual curiosity to gain a deep understanding of regulations impacting the business and the ability to translate that understanding into actionable guidance for the business teams.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts–large and small.
- Advising on the business terms of established commercial agreements.
- Creating and revising applicable terms and conditions.
Minimum Experience Required
- 7+ years of relevant legal experience
- Prior experience as a company-side corporate lawyer at a law firm
- Prior in-house experience is preferred, and some experience with employment law and international law would be ideal.
- Law Degree
Job Qualifications / Experience Requirements:
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in contract negotiations. Easygoing negotiating style is a must.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also to accept direction from the Deputy General Counsel.
- Collegial style, team player with excellent independent judgment.
- Superior contract drafting skills–understand the “power of the pen.”
- Excellent communication (verbal, written and listening) skills.
- Ability to get things done quickly without sweating the small stuff.
- Business savvy and customer-service oriented approach to facilitate achievement of business objectives.
EPIC Values Alignment:
- Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
- The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
- If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status