The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Journalist, Pidgin
Job Reference: BBC / TP / 788771 / 50849
Job: family Journalism Band D
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788771/50849
Contract Type: Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- The BBC World Service is recruiting for an experienced Senior Broadcast Journalist to work across the Pidgin Service digital output specifically the website and social media platforms.
- You will take full editorial responsibility for the timely delivery of daily output
- Reporting to the Editor, your main responsibilities will include: leading on the production, creative and timely distribution of all digital content, videos, and innovative editorial projects to serve our Pidgin audiences
- The SJ will also bear in mind the need to adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines and objectives.
- In addition, you will be responsible for coming up with creative and innovative ways of developing, pitching and telling stories through text and video.
- You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Pidgin and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- A willingness to learn to operate new technology systems and to be able to adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to mentor, lead and inspire journalists to bring out the best in them.
- Decent experience with presentation of live and recorded programs.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC Editorial Guidelines (especially as regards conflict of interest) and to abide by BBC Values.
- A demonstrable track record of growing social media platforms and engaging with audiences.
- A deep understanding of Search Engine Optimization.
- Familiarity with digital news production on websites and social media platforms.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views.
- Ability to meet deadlines and targets – must show a willingness to meet the deadline even within short notice while understanding that targets will be set and assessed on a monthly basis.
- Creative Thinking able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Evidence of innovation and the ability to devise creative solutions by developing novel ideas or adapting existing ones in new ways.
- Planning and organisation able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Developing Others able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Resilience manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and be willing to experiment.
- Communication able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. As well as the ability to motivate and deal sensitively with teammates.
- Influencing and persuading able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Ability to draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that result in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with other teams in developing tools, features and ideas.
- Significant level of responsibility. Exercises autonomy but seeks guidance where necessary.
- No formal management responsibility but may informally manage more Junior staff.
- A senior journalist covering a wide range of journalism activity, with significant experience and responsibility for programme/content creation.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Click here for more information (PDF)
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2020.