The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all.
We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the below position below:
Job Title: IELTS Examiner
Reference number: IELTS Examiners
Location: Ilorin, Ibadan, Benin, Calabar, Enugu, Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt
- We are looking for examiners to conduct one to one interviews with IELTS candidates to assess their spoken English according to set requirements, and assess written scripts produced by candidates under exam conditions.
- Examiners are recruited on a casual basis and are expected to examine at least ten sessions a year at regular intervals.
- IELTS examinations regularly take place in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. Therefore, we are looking for examiners who live in, or within relatively easy reach of these cities. We may occasionally run examinations in other cities in Nigeria.
- Training of successful candidates will be after shortlisting.
- An undergraduate degree or a qualification which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to an undergraduate degree.
- A recognized qualification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) / Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) / or recognized equivalent as part of a recognized university award course.**
- At least 3 years full time (14 hours per week minimum or the equivalent part time) relevant TESOL/TEFL teaching experience (minimum one year post certificate level qualification). The majority of this teaching experience must relate to adult students (16 years and over).
- The required professional attributes and interpersonal skills. Please see our recruitment pack for more details.
- UK qualifications: CELTA; DELTA; Cert. TESOL; Dip. TESOL; PGCE; B Ed.; M Ed; MA Applied Linguistics. Assessed teaching practice and ESOL/EFL studies at cert. level must be part of the course.
- Nigerian qualifications include either a Nigerian 1st degree, an NCE in ELT plus relevant teaching experience and IELTS 9.0. Or Nigerian B.Ed in English Language Teaching (transcripts verify course content), relevant teaching experience plus IELTS 9.0. A first degree plus a Nigerian PGDE or M.Ed/MA in TESOL or TEFL (transcripts verify course content), plus relevant teaching experience and IELTS 9.0. If shortlisted, you will need to submit a transcript of the teaching course you attended.
Remuneration is paid per interview/script
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should read through the IELTS Examiner Minimum Professional Requirements & IELTS Guide for Examiner Applicants documents. Download and complete the Application Form and the Reference Request form below.
Completed applications should be sent via email to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 31st December, 2017.