The Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy (BiRD) is an independent, privately owned consulting company committed to providing high-quality advisory services and technical assistance for the strengthening of democratic institutions, structures and processes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Process Review/Development in the Area of Border Management in Nigeria
Locations: Kebbi and Sokoto
Indented starting date: June 2018
Duration of the assignment: 30 WD over the period 08 July – 31 August 2018
- We are currently accepting applications from interested candidates fulfilling the below criteria for a short-term assignment commissioned by GIZ entitled Short-term consultancy for process review/development in the area of border management in Nigeria:
The expert will, in consultation with an expert for process modelling and GIZ PPA (Police Programme Africa), undertake at least the following tasks:
- Desk study of relevant documents (including information on the partner institutions), taking into account the legal, managerial and organizational framework within which the NIS operates
- Prepare a gap analysis, including the requirements of the new process(es)
- Develop recommendations and a rough implementation plan (including suggestions for piloting of introduction of new processes)
- Visit and interview key immigration stakeholders in Abuja and the focal states (Kebbi and Sokoto)
- Assess what actually happens at selected border posts during border crossing of people/situational analysis of the border crossing process as it takes place
- Advise the expert for process modelling on all questions regarding border manage-ment
- Participate in a partner workshop, explain together with the other expert the draft pro-cess model and give input on the findings about the status quo and suggestions for improvement.
- Experience and knowledge of border management and application of relevant inter-national standards
- Up to 10 years previous work with the border control, cross-border regulations, and related fields
- Knowledge of the Security Sector in West Africa and the ECOWAS region
- Working experience in African countries
- Regional experience / knowledge of West Africa / Nigeria
- Fluency in English
- All experts must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
- International working experience in the relevant field
- Experience with international development organizations
- Experience in integrated border management
- Experience with process models
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 23rd May, 2018.
- Only excellent experts meeting most or all of the above criteria and having an excellent and verifiable track record will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.