Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a research and advisory organization that pursues two twin missions of advancing behavioral science and alleviating poverty.
We work with researchers, practitioners, and policy-makers to conduct rigorous field and laboratory-based experimental studies in behavioral economics in developing countries and apply research outcomes to real-world problems. We are headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with active project operations in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Nigeria.
Growth is in our DNA hence we are currently taking applications for qualified individuals to join the small-but-growing Busara Nigeria team in the capacity below:
Job Title: Busara Project Lead
- Project Leads are also expected to prepare and share documentation regarding field implementation of the projects (field reports), as well as areas for improvement going forward.
- Additionally, a Project Lead should have the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Project Leads report to Associates and Research Assistants on project-based activities and to Engagement Directors for all other responsibilities.
- Project Leads support both the advisory and research arms of Busara by overseeing and executing overall project activities as necessary.
- Project Leads will be expected to be able to quickly understand a guiding research question and be able to contribute to the design and contextualization of a data collection instrument such that the ultimate data collected can accurately address the needs of the project. In addition, Project Leads are expected to have deep and constantly updated knowledge of the changing landscape where projects are based and be able to guide the project activities in the face of changes.
- Project Leads are responsible for the execution of project activities including serving as the primary liaison to the operations and finance team, work with project operations and HR to staff data collection teams, and ensure high-level data quality through proper training, field/lab management, and data quality checks.
Project Leads will work closely with Busara offices and directly with academic researchers and advisory clients to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Engage in multiple large-scale research and advisory projects at a given time.
- Responsible for project equipment and finances during data collection. Handle any necessary payments (with the Finance team) and coordinate procurement with relevant Operations teams.
- Lead focus groups, individual interviews, and lab sessions to the highest standard.
- Troubleshoot project activities on the fly.
- Communicate with clients or PIs when necessary with project updates, or queries.
- Contribute to project on-boarding and off-boarding for knowledge management, including preparing field reports on completion of field activities, and outlining improvement suggestions for future Busara projects in that context.
- Maintain and update project timelines. Alert Associates of data collection progress, challenges, and deadlines.
- Maintain community relationships during project activities. Serve as the primary liaison to the community and address any concerns or issues.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the project supervisor.
- Manage external and internal engagements independently and with limited supervision.
- Interpret, evaluate and clarify research requests to determine the optimal content and method to collect data.
- Provide detailed feedback on qualitative and quantitative data collection instruments, paying close attention to the context, population, and language to ensure maximum comprehension and data quality.
- Lead contextualization and translation of data collection instruments.
- Provide logistical support to all project activities. Work closely with Analyst and Project Operations team to coordinate project planning, community entry, hiring, procurement and any other necessary logistics.
- Manage overall data collection, whether in the lab or the field. Responsible for training data collection teams, creating and monitoring protocol, tracking data collection progress and ensuring data quality.
Core Organizational Responsibilities
- Work with the Project Lead team to conduct goal setting exercises, objectives and key results, and team building events.
- Contribute to skills-building workshops for Project Lead teams.
- Communicate across organizational teams to ensure a healthy and functioning organization.
- Complete required focus contracts, reviews and snapshots.
- Assist with internal initiatives where necessary.
- Serve as mentors to Field Officer team members, when requested.
- Serve on internal committees when necessary
So you’re interested in the organization and what the role entails. But do you have what we’re looking for?
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Strong qualitative, quantitative, and research skills.
- Extensive experience managing large scale research and data collection projects in both urban and rural areas in Nigeria.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Excellent management and organizational skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Fluency and excellent communication and writing skills with a mastery of English and a local language in Nigeria.
- Proven ability to translate research questions into relevant, and concise data collection instruments.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
- Familiarity of behavioural science.
- Familiarity with psychology or economics experiments.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply