Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Software Architect, Commercial Systems
Location: Lagos (Remote)
- This role is an opportunity for a senior software architect to build a career with Canonical and drive the architecture of internally developed and deployed software solutions.
- The Commercial Systems team closely collaborates with other engineering and business teams at Canonical. Services designed, developed, and operated by the Commercial Systems team are used by millions of machines all over the world. Designing and developing these systems requires a high degree of understanding of distributed systems and appreciation for business critical systems and the value of data flowing between the systems. It is crucial for services developed by the Commercial Systems team to flawlessly and securely operate 24/7 and to allow for seamless integration with solutions developed and used by other teams at Canonical, while keeping security at the forefront. Apply here if you would like to be at the center of connecting all the dots and drive the architecture of such software solutions.
- As a successful candidate, you will provide architectural guidance to six engineering teams within Commercial Systems that develop backend services for ESM, automate business processes, integrate a number of software systems used across Canonical, and develop an internal data lake. You will also work with engineering and business stakeholders on designing software solutions developed by the Commercial Systems team and made available to other engineering teams at Canonical as a service.
- We are looking for a senior software architect with hands-on experience with Go and Python, distributed systems, SaaS, and microservices, who has the drive, energy, and skills to drive the architecture of business critical systems at Canonical.
What your Day will look like
- Drive the architecture of internally developed and operated software solutions
- Actively seek improvements to established processes, designs, and solutions
- Provide architectural guidance to engineering teams
What We Are Looking for in You
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a relevant work experience
- Experience as a software architect working on distributed and business critical systems
- Experience with Golang and Python as a software engineer
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Excellent analytical skills and both verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and stakeholders, remain highly motivated, productive, and organized in a fully remote environment
- Ability to travel to international destinations for one week at a time, approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations prior to the global pandemic included New York, Seattle, London, Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels
Additional skills that you might also bring:
- Experience from finance, sales, or e-commerce domains
What We Offer You
- Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
- In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, you can ask in the later stages of the recruitment process.
- Fully remote working environment – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: Not Specified.