MultiChoice South Africa’s activities involve the operation of Pay-Television and internet subscriber platforms. The MultiChoice South Africa group includes the digital satellite Pay-Television business (“DStv”), which has been in operation since 1995.
Other businesses in the group are;
M-Net (delivers thematic channels and exclusive content to DStv subscribers) and SuperSport (provides comprehensive coverage of local and global sport). DStv Media Sales (commercial airtime sales and on-air sponsorship), DStv Mobile (mobile television content and services), MWEB (internet service provider), DStv Online (delivering entertainment content and services from the MultiChoice family to customers via breakthrough technologies), Commerce Zone (e-procurement solutions) and Smart Village (gated community services) also form part of the group.
MultiChoice’s involvement in South Africa goes beyond it’s core business. Through its corporate social investment, the company actively participates in social transformation and, through technology, enables individuals and communities to help themselves.
Job Title: Academy Director
(Internal and external factors which influence the work environment, taking future conditions and strategic requirements into account)
- Global organisation
- Leading edge technology
- Regulatory environment
- Competitive environment
- Multi-channel environment
- Market expansion/Changes in pay-TV demographics
- Content interactivity trends
- Fast-paced & constantly changing environment
- Dynamic organization
- Policies & Procedures
- Multicultural environment
- Performance Driven Culture
- Competitive Environment
- Business Process
- (Internal and External and Internal individuals or groups to whom products, services, programs and information must be provided)
- MultiChoice Corporate Affairs GM and CSI team
- Managing Director
- M-Net Director
- PR & Communications Teams
- HR Team
- Media Agencies
- Creative Agency
- Third Party Vendors
- Regulatory Agencies
- Production houses
(Products, services, programs and information which the individual must provide to external individuals or groups, or one another to accomplish the organisation’s mission and strategy)
Establishment of the MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF) Academy:
- Identify suitable space, negotiate availability and finalize an agreement that will result in the establishment of physical infrastructure for the academy, the MTF Director and the Human Resource Team
- Determine the physical resources, materials and equipment required for use in the MTF Academy and collaborate with assigned company employees to finalize procurement
- Finalize a curriculum framework and accredited post-school institution with relevant academic programmes to deliver credit-bearing courses for the academic training that is responsive to identified needs and constraints with all relevant stakeholders
- Finalize an agreement on the delivery of the academic programme with Legal Experts
- Engage with key industry and regulatory stakeholders, in collaboration with assigned company employees, to secure buy-in and support for the MTF Academy concept
- Ensure that key stakeholders are identified and involved in an advisory capacity and accordance with the MTF objectives to entrench the MTF as a key industry talent pipeline initiative
- Investigate and establish partnerships with industry experts to plan the delivery of industry professional master classes according to identified needs
Effective and successful management of the MTF Academy
- Effectively participate and play a leading role in the recruitment and selection of interns according to the agreed strategy, schedule and timelines
- Effectively manage the MTF Academy to ensure successful implementation and operations and manage MTF Academy plans and schedules as determined
- Monitor the effectiveness of intern learning experiences while they are placed on productions by means of agreed monitoring and reporting templates and mitigate any challenges that are identified
- Ensure that the MTF Academy and its programmes are aligned to identified industry needs, constraints and opportunities
- Provide MTF Academy reports according to agreed reporting timelines
- Arrange the production of the pre-determined number of local productions (short films) by teams of interns to ensure that they meet with the quality standards of MultiChoice Africa, M-Net and/or their subsidiaries
- Identify a facilitating producer/s and production facility/facilities for interns during the development of their local productions at rates that are cost-effective for the MTF Academy as a development initiative and finalize an agreement.
- Provide overall management and oversight of intern conduct while part of the MTF Academy
- Appoint a Human Resources co-ordinator to ensure successful implementation of Academy activities and intern conduct
- Manage relationships with key industry stakeholders, in collaboration with assigned company employees, to ensure the creation of goodwill from the MTF Academy in accordance with its business and developmental objectives
- Participate, as assigned, in various campaigns and events to generate awareness of the MTF Academy and the graduation of interns
- Execute any related tasks to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the MTF Academy
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The incumbent is required to have the following qualifications and experience level:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Film and TV Production or equivalent.
- MBA/Master’s degree is an added advantage
- 10 years’ experience in film and TV production.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
The incumbent should have demonstrated the following competencies:
Demonstrate an extensive understanding of local Film and TV industry.
- Conceptualise innovative ideas to successfully run the MTF and create social value.
- Good understanding of modern film and TV production trends.
- Good understanding of skills development issues in the film, television and related industries
- The incumbent is required to have the following behavioural competencies:
- Strategic and Business AcumenAligns the direction and performance of the MTF with the organisations operational and strategic direction. Understands situations /problems and can identify relationships between multiple variables and make use of inductive and conceptual reasoning to generate strategies based on previous experience.
- Interpersonal CompetenceBuilds and sustains a network of working relationships based on acceptance, cooperation and mutual respect. Initiate and participate in activities to strengthen working relationships and may effectively resolve arising confrontations.
- Impact and InfluenceThrough careful preparation may persuade and influence others to agree with and support ones agenda.
- Initiative and DriveActs goal-orientated and independently without receiving constant supervision. Understands when to involve others in a decision and demonstrates stamina in difficult situations. Identifies problems, obstacles and opportunities and can proactively take action.
Emits motivation and confers enthusiasm to others.
The incumbent is required to demonstrate the following personality attributes:
- Enjoys being creative and can think of new solutions.
- Inclined to critically evaluates information and looks for potential limitations.
- Prefers to adopt a long-term perspective and is more likely to take a strategic perspective without losing sight of the operational aspects.
- A strong preference to work with others in a collaborative manner.
- A strong interest in the development of people and promoting emerging film and television talent
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click below to apply