Posted on :
30 Sep, 2009
30 Sep, 2009
African Development Bank is recruiting for the position of Chief Financial Accountant. The bank’s mission is to help reduce poverty, improve living conditions for Africans and mobilize resources for the continent’s economic and social development.
* Position title: Chief Financial Accountant
* Grade: PL-3
* Position N°: 1272
* Job Reference: ADB/09/137
* Ensure effective internal control around loan accounting and reporting in the General Ledger.
* Ensure effective internal control around the accounting activities of the Bank Group, by ensuring that financial transactions reported on the bank accounts are proper and accurately recorded in the appropriate accounting period.
* Ensure timely and accurate financial reports of the loan and banking activities of the Bank.
* Ensure proper and timely reconciliation and clearance of all loan related and other suspense and receivable/payable accounts in the General Ledger.
* Provide high level advice on the financial statement implication of all project loan and grant related activities.
* Participate in the preparation of the financial statements of the Bank Group in accordance with IFRS.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, FFCO, the incumbent will carry out the following functions:
* Supervise the Loan Accounting and Bank Reconciliation functions in FFCO.1
* Coordinate the review and reconciliation of all General Ledger accounts.
* Provide technical accounting and policy guidance on system implementation projects in the area of loan accounting and the maintenance of bank accounts.
* Coordinate the activities of FFCO.1 with respect to the implementation and ongoing maintenance of the Integrated Internal Control Framework.
* Provide input for the financial accounting reporting of the Bank Group in accordance with IFRS.
* Detailed Duties include the following:
* Ensure accuracy of all General Ledger accounts relating to project loans and grants.
* Ensure monthly reconciliation of the General Ledger with the subsidiary loan system.
* Monitor the recording of approved loans and liaising with SEGL to ensure timely recording in SAP of all Loans and grant approvals.
* Ensure the accuracy of monthly recording of accrued income on loans.
* Provide technical accounting guidance on any new loan product that the Bank may want to use.
* In liaison with FFCO.4, provide all loan related statistics and information for the preparation of the monthly and quarterly financial statements and other financial information emanating from the Division.
* Carry out monthly analysis of loan income and provide explanations for variances.
* In liaison with FFCO.4, ensure that the member country accounts are analyzed and reconciled.
* Supervise the process for the formulation of accounting policy on the impairment of loan and related charges as well as the periodic determination and computation of impairment charges in the financial statements.
* Ensure timely reconciliation of all bank accounts in use by all the entities including bilateral and trust funds.
* Follow up on all outstanding items in bank reconciliation.
* Advise on treatment of old and irrecoverable amounts.
* In liaison with FTRY.2, ensure that adequate internal controls are maintained in the closing and opening of new bank accounts.
* Provide the monthly summary of bank reconciliation for management review.
Analysis and Reconciliation of General Ledger Account
* Ensure reconciliation of receivable/payable and inter-institution accounts.
* Give instructions for the settlement of all inter-institution receivable/payable.
* Represent the Division/Department in the various working groups including those of ALCO.
* Participate actively in the production of financial statements and any financial information emanating from the Division.
* Participate in the overall evaluation of internal control within the Division.
* Liaise with SAP for all development work in the area of General Ledger reporting of loan and banking activities.
* Prepare financial statements for some special activities and initiatives in the Bank as allocated by the Manager.
* Other functions that may be assigned by the Division Manager, that have bearing to the work of the Division
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
* At least a Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Audit, Business Administration, or Banking, combined with a membership of an internationally recognised professional accounting body e. g. CA, CPA, ACCA or Expert Comptable;
* A minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience, including experience in an accounting firm of international repute;
* Very good computer skills including proficiency in SAP (ERP Excel, Access, and PowerPoint;
* Excellent writing skills, and ability to explain technical accounting issues to subordinates and colleagues;
* Good team player and excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
* Demonstrated competences of accuracy, attention to detail, integrity and update knowledge of International Accounting Standards;
* Ability to communicate and write effectively in French and/or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit (preferably electronically, to: [email protected]) a fully completed Personal History Form (PHF), and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating date of birth and nationality.
Staff Planning and Recruitment Division
Temporary Relocation Agency
African Development Bank
15 Avenue du Ghana
FAX: (216) 71 831 472
The President, ADB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is 30th September 2009