Chemonics International, an international development firm based in Washington, DC., seeks professionals for USAID’s anticipated multi-year health program in Nigeria; the Strategic HIV and AIDS Response Program (SHARP).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Advisor, North
Location: Abuja, with frequent travel across the Northern states and Middle Belt
Scope of Work
- This scope of work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by the Security Coordinator to SAII Associates Ltd/Gte, an associate company of Chemonics International Inc. in the implementation of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) in Nigeria.
- The Security Advisor – North will assist in the development of security protocols for project operations in Nigeria and keep project teams informed with up-to-date local information that affects security procedures and day-to-day operations.
- S/he will be responsible for building and enhancing strategic relationships with key government ministries (e.g. Nigeria Ministry of Defense) and the Nigerian security sector, including developing relationships with local security professionals, NGO/IP security managers, and security forces.
- The Security Advisor – North must be exceptionally familiar with local security dynamics and the local operating environment, particularly in Nigeria’s Northern states.
- S/he must also be able work with and coordinate with various stakeholders in country and the Chemonics Home Office, while demonstrating sound judgment and a high level of discretion.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Continuously monitor the security environment in the Northern states. Regularly gather information regarding the operating environment in Nigeria’s Northern states, with emphasis on the areas where PSM staff and assets are located.
- Provide guidance on the security implications of program operations and frequently reassess Standard Operating Procedures to adjust as necessary based on changes in the security environment. Provide reports and guidance as requested.
- Build and enhance security relationships. Establish relationships with local law enforcement, civil authorities, development and humanitarian organizations, international missions, and security forces.
- Participate in local security forums, to include skype information sharing groups, the UNDSS NGO security group, and OSAC.
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance, and management for special secu¬rity re¬quirements. These include but are not limited to: general and facility security assessments; special programs and projects such as security for staff traveling in and around Nigeria; support for regional assessments and/or project movements in risk areas, especially in the Northwest states; and any situation that might threaten the safety of staff and operations.
- Manage and continuously upgrade the Chemonics security management program.
- Coordinate with the Nigeria PSM Security Director and the projects’ senior leadership to implement crisis and incident management preparations and response in Nigeria.
- Conduct scenario training and test exercises and ensure emergency continuity. Act as local incident coordinator. Facilitate training as required, and periodic drills at each project office and residential location; including hotel lodging for short term staff.
- Make recommendations for security enhancements and modifications, and ensure that approved recommendations are implemented.
- Conduct incident and situation reporting. Reach out to staff and contacts for local and regional updates on security. Compile and disperse timely and accurate security updates, recommendations for changes in posture, and other relevant information to the Security Manager and/or staff in-person or via e-mail, phone, or SMS.
- Transmit security alerts for emerging situations and report all security-related incidents involving Chemonics staff to the country management team.
- On an activity-by-activity basis, implement the capability to operate safely. In coordination with the senior management team, manage the implementation and quality control of security policies and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure all staff are briefed on all safety and security considerations for project personnel arriving in country from overseas—to include information on security risks, incident in the field.
- Strengthen project staff security skills and habits. Recommend staff training programs and monitor completion and compliance. This includes regular briefings, security guidelines, communication procedures, travel precautions, emergency procedures and movement restrictions (as needed).
- Nigerian citizen/resident is required;
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field
- Proven expertise in Nigerian security issues, including current threat environment, security policy, key actors, risk assessment, and best practices;
- Two or more years’ experience in management and oversight of security platforms that were implemented in Nigeria and utilized low-profile techniques;
- Experience providing security oversight to an international donor program desirable;
- Ability to report to and coordinate with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external;
- Experience in training civilians on safety and security measures;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability to generate and leverage network connections in Nigeria to promote an accurate and timely understanding of the security context in Nigeria;
- Prior professional experience working in law enforcement or military coupled with private sector work experience preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Fluency in English is required.
- Experience working on a USAID or donor-funded project required
- The Security Advisor – North will report directly to the Nigeria PSM Security Manager. The Security Advisor- North will also conduct check-ins with Chemonics home office Security Management Unit (SMU) as necessary.
- The Chemonics SMU will provide overall strategic support to the Nigeria PSM security platform and will serve as the key focal point for decisions that impact the entire security platform and in cases of emergency.
Working Conditions/Duration of Assignment
- This is a long-term position for the life of the contract based in Abuja, Nigeria.
Annual Salary Package
- 5 % increase on your current annual base salary (The base salary is the salary before tax without any benefits, allowances or bonuses)
- Transportation Allowance: NGN 208,652.00 (Per year)
- Meals Allowance: NGN 173,407.00 (Per year)
- Miscellaneous Allowance: NGN 453,142.00 (Per year)
- Housing: NGN 974,962.00 (Per year)
- Annual Leave Allowance calculated at 10% of annual basic salary
- 13th Month Benefit calculated at 8.33% of your annual basic salary
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply
Application Deadline 10th December, 2017.