Guinness Nigeria Plc (GNPLC) is one of the largest listed companies in Nigeria. It produces markets and sells alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in Nigeria. It is a subsidiary of Diageo Plc, the global alcoholic drinks company.
Job Title: Commercial Legal Manager
Type of Job: Full Time
Level: L5 (M1)
Reports To: Legal Adviser, Guinness Nigeria
The key functions of the Legal department are proactive legal counseling and legal support to the business, compliance; corporate governance and knowledge / information centre.
The Commercial Legal Manager will have the primary responsibility of managing external legal counsel and litigation, intellectual property and antitrust, provide legal advisory to the whole spectrum of the business in procurement, supply, distribution, agency, production, marketing, logistics, finance and commercial; employment matters; compliance; innovation; product liability; counterfeit products; Marketing Code review of advertising and promotions.
The role reports to the Legal Adviser.
Guinness Nigeria is the second largest brewing company in Nigeria with a significant proportion of the total alcohol market.
Purpose of Role:
Enable Guinness Nigeria to achieve its business objectives in a legally compliant way.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities:
- As a commercial lawyer in line with world class in house legal function, will give increased focus on the commercial business and legal support to ensure that the business has good and solid relationships with all external stakeholders including but not limited to customers, suppliers, distributors and agents. This will include negotiation and finalisation of all agreements, providing advice on consumer, competition, labour and all other commercial law. In addition there will be a requirement to ensure that strategic implementation is executed with excellence
- Ensure appropriate contracts are in place for all business relationships in line with the contracts management guidelines and the Statement of Authority and manage the end to end contract management system
- Act as business partner to the Finance, HR, IS, CR and Supply Functions and provide primary legal counselling for all processes and operations.
- Drive and institute legal, practical and workable solutions to disputes while upholding the company’s legal position and reputation consistent with values and ethical compass.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Not less than seven (7) years post-qualification experience as a practising lawyer in a reputable commercial law firm (or equivalent)
- Strong commercial law background especially in the negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts relevant to the company’s business and giving advice in relation to marketing, sales and promotion activities.
- Confident, relaxed and robust personality with excellent inter-personal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound commercial lawyer with exceptional analytical, drafting and negotiating skills.
- Well organised and detail oriented, working well to deadlines and comfortable working on his/her own matters or as part of a larger team on a project.
- Open and outward looking attitude
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers
- Strong commercial and pragmatic approach
Barriers to Success in Role:
- Inability to constantly reprioritise and manage expectations from a large and demanding business in a role that interacts with a high proportion of senior level managers
- Inability to effectively communicate complex legal concepts in an manner that non-lawyers can easily comprehend
- Inability to properly appreciate the full commercial context in which legal contracts are managed.
Flexible working options:
Lagos based with some travels within/outside Nigeria