The Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO) – As the oldest and largest Commonwealth organisation in the field of information and communication technologies, the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO) is an international treaty organisation that supports its members in integrating ICTs to deliver effective development interventions that emancipate, enrich, equalise, and empower people within the Commonwealth and beyond.
As a member and key player in the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO), the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has been notified of the existence of vacancy for the post:
Job Title: Secretary General
Reporting to: Executive Council & Council
Direct Reports: ICT Director, Finance Manager, HR Manager
- This job is responsible for planning, coordinating, and overseeing the effective and efficient delivery of relevant and fit for purpose activities and programmes for Member Countries and Companies in the ICT & Telecommunication Eco-system.
- This job is central to the organisation’s purpose, which is the liaison between the organisation and all stakeholders providing advice, and the creation of a forum to facilitate conversations that can enhance ICT & Telecommunications and the regulation of the same.
- The role of a thought leader in all things ICT & Telecommunication is also essential.
- This is accomplished through the development and implementation of the company’s strategic plan, translating the vision of the organisation into deliverables, building a culture that is conducive to the delivery of the organisation’s objective, leading the senior team, the creation of a customer-centric experience, and developing and implementing the organisation’s budget, and annual business plan.
- The Secretary General is also responsible for the successful management and leadership of the organisation in keeping with the direction set by EXCO and Council.
- Provide professional advice to the EXCO and Council on all aspects of the organisation’s activities
- Represent the organisation at relevant international event to enhance the organisation’s position, brand and profile
- Identify and address internal and external issues that are affecting the organisation, and ensure EXCO and Council are informed of these occurrences
- Ensure industry-specific and support services are delivered through the integration of digital media and technological innovation to allow for a wider reach and to satisfy all member country and company needs
- Be an ambassador for the organisation when at meetings with industry leaders in government, private sector and development agencies
- Develop and secure funding for new programmes of work as per the organisation’s relationships with its member countries and sector members, with other international organisations and funding agencies, governments and businesses
- Develop CTO’s vision and strategic plans in collaboration with the EXCO and Council and the management team to guide the organisation in the achievement of its objectives/purpose
- Foster effective teamwork between the EXCO and the Secretary General and the staff. Assess at intervals to determine the robustness of collaboration in the company
Public relations and advocacy:
- Ensure stakeholders are communicated with to keep them informed of the work of the organisation and to identify changes needed to satisfy the needs of the member country or prospective members served by the company
- Ensure the organisation and its vision/ mission, programs, products, and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive image to relevant stakeholders and customers
- Risk management:
- Identify and evaluate organisational risk: people (client, staff, management, volunteers) property, finances, goodwill, and image (enterprise-wide risk management) and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure EXCO, Council, and all stakeholders are aware of all risks (insurance, etc.) involved in the running of the operations
- Foster working relationships and collaborative arrangements with other ICT & telecommunications providers/industry leaders, business leaders and other organisations to assist in the achievement of the goals of the organisation are facilitated
- Manage a communication plan to support the organisation’s commercial/business objectives, as well as a marketing plan
Operational planning and management:
- Operational plan, which incorporates goals and objectives, is developed and implemented. Ensure the operational plan is aligned with the strategic direction of the organisation
- Oversee operating objectives and budgets, and the creation of an overall system for the efficient delivery of CTO Services is developed and executed
- Policies are documented for the approval of the EXCO and Council, and procedures are prepared to implement these policies. The existing policies are reviewed to achieve continual improvement
- New business opportunities are assessed, evaluated, and performed cost-effectively
Human resources planning and management:
- Resource requirements are determined and aligned with the strategic plan and the Annual Business/Commercial Plan
- Staff are disciplined when necessary, using appropriate techniques; separate employees when needed, using suitable and legally defensible procedures
- Positive, healthy and safe work environment is established following all applicable legislation and regulations
- The performance process, which includes monitoring the performance of all staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review of the business as well as all first-line reports, is executed
- EXCO and Council, Member Countries and Companies, Countries Telecommunications Regulatory Bodies, Funding Agencies, All Departments in the CTO, other International Organisations
Part 1 – Experience:
- Solid track record of strong leadership, building and motivating effective and productive teams in an organisation of comparable size
- Significant experience in the telecommunications/ICT sector or related industry
- Experience and understanding of international development issues, including social and economic development
- A track record of negotiating, influencing and persuading others at a senior level both internally and externally
- A record of achievement in securing funding from external sources including funding agencies and the private sector
- Effective communication at all levels covering complex and wide ranging subjects
- Experience in developing and implementing innovative measures
- Strong administrative and financial skills demonstrated in a senior strategic role
- Establishing, managing and developing collaborative working relationships with a range of internal and external bodies
- Experience and understanding of international communications issues, policy and technology
- A university Business degree, preferably a PHD, Master Degree or an MBA
Part 2 – Skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish credibility quickly, particularly in new areas of influence
- A consultative and facilitative style with the ability to influence others where appropriate;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to think clearly and analytically, grasp complex issues and develop sound judgments in a sensitive environment
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills at the most senior levels to lead, develop and participate in partnerships and strategic alliances
- Robust and comfortable with operating in a challenging environment
- Committed to the efficient and effective management of financial resources and staff
- Ability to provide direction and leadership in a way that inspires confidence and commitment and encourages ideas, innovation and initiative from others
- Ability to demonstrate authority, commitment, consistency and fairness
Other key attributes:
- Commitment to the role and mandate of the CTO
- Ability to demonstrate authority, commitment, consistency and fairness
- Politically astute and aware
- Salary: Highly competitive
- Benefit: Car Allowance £666 per month. Relocation, accommodation, travel and education allowance and home leave offered for overseas citizens (i.e. whose stay in the UK is contingent on their employment by the Secretariat). Details available on application.
- Other Benefits: Company pension scheme. Fully expensed access to ICT equipment and facilities and medical cover as per the staff handbook. This is not subject to taxation.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Applicants must be citizens of a Commonwealth country that is a full member country of the CTO.
- To apply, please download and complete the “Application Form” which includes your supporting statement and upload this together with your CV as per the below instructions via the link above.
- NB: your statement should be no more than two pages of A4.
- In your formal application, we would like you to specifically address each of the criteria listed in “Part 1 of the Person Specification”.
- You are also requested in your supporting statement to explain your underlying motivation or interest in this role. These responses will be explored further at interview together with other criteria listed in part two.
- As an inclusive employer CTO actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures.
- We ask that you complete the equal opportunities information online when you submit your application via our website.
- The information collected will be treated as confidential, used for statistical purposes only, and will not be treated as part of your application.
- Finally please ensure that you have included mobile, work and home telephone numbers, as well as any dates when you will not be available or might have difficulty with the indicative timetable.
- Applications should be made via the Prospectus website at: www.prospect-us.co.uk
Application Deadline: 5pm on Tuesday, 7th January, 2020