UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and our wide range of partners.
We are now recruiting for a Communications Specialist to be based in Abuja.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the RR, the Communications Specialist develops concrete plans for implementation of corporate communications strategy, designs, manages and implements UNDP communications strategy and publication policy to promote public and media outreach, to mobilize political and financial support for UNDP and to ensure communications support to business development.
The Communications Specialist supervises and leads communications support staff. The Communications Specialist works in close collaboration with the Programme Team to ensure that these strategies meet the programme needs. The incumbent closely cooperates with the staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and Government officials, media, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Formulation and implementation of CO communications, education and advocacy strategies and tools
- Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications policy
- Creation of strong visibility of UNDP initiatives and results and strong positioning of UNDP as an effective close development partner of the Government and other development partners alike through public media and effective communications strategies
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP/ UN web site, intranet, and CO web based knowledge management system
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Develops plans for and ensures implementation of communications strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Design, elaboration and implementation of the CO communications and outreach strategy, based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP mandate, mission and purpose.
- Management and dissemination of advocacy materials including Human Development Report and other UN/UNDP publications. Contribution to and elaboration of joint UN information campaigns.
- Creation, promotion and maintenance of marketing/promotional communication and advocacy packages and tools based on current programme and new initiatives. Thorough analysis of the information to be included into the packages.
- Active engagement in new partnership development, maintenance of close contacts with national and international media, government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector to promote public awareness on UNDP activities and to mobilize interests and resources for implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Preparation of briefing materials and press releases and conduct of interviews.
- Formatting, packaging and submission of programme initiatives for donor review in collaboration with programme staff.
- Preparation of substantive inputs to CCA (Common Country Assessment) , UNDAF (United Nations Development Assistance Framework), CPD (Country Programme Document) and other documents
2. Ensures elaboration and implementation of the CO publications policy focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Conceptualization, elaboration and implementation of the CO publications policy based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification of activities for publications, drafting articles describing successful projects, public events and other achievements and successes, fostering understanding of UNDP’s strategic role in country development.
- Coordination and management of all CO publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, translation, etc.
- Supervision of publications dissemination.
3. Supervises the design and maintenance of the UNDP/ UN web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conceptualization and design of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Supervision and preparation of the content for the web sites ensuring consistency of the materials.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities, operational and management best practices as well as UN common system harmonization initiatives.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the CO staff on communication issues.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in media relations, journalism, publishing
Experience: 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English.
Deadline is 26th October 2009.
Click here to apply online.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.