OOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Safety & Security Officer
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Safety & Security Officer is responsible to follow up the security context in COOPI areas of intervention and assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for COOPI employees and visitors, premises, and assets as well as maintaining regular communication with staff during field movement.
- The Security Officer is responsible for ensuring that appropriate systems and procedures are in place to maximize safety and security and that they are adhered to at all times.
- The Security Officer is responsible for supporting the Northeast Nigeria Security team in Yobe and Borno State to ensure that safety and security is mainstreamed into all field operations across Northeast Nigeria and that the high-quality information is available for decision making.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Country Logistic Coordinator and under the management of the Head of Mission, he/she:
Policies and Procedures:
- Work with the Country logistic Coordinator and the Head of mission to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans across Northeast Nigeria.
- Ensure the availability of all the instruments needed to guarantee the security in the area of intervention
- Monitor the security situation on the field, reports to the Head of Mission and to the Country Logistics Coordinator, promptly and effectively report risks and propose mitigation actions
- In coordination with the Country Logistics and the Head of mission, revises and updates the organization’s security tools
- Collaborate with the Country Logistic and the project managers for the field office staff and ensures that all security systems are implemented and respected
- Represent COOPI in meetings with government and other relevant stakeholders as required
- Assist the Country Logistic Coordinator to provide training(s) that may include Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Contingency Plans (CPs), Security Management, Incident Reporting, Prevention and Response Mechanisms, Communications (including satellite phones), and risk/threat analysis.
- Provide thorough security briefings to COOPI staff and visitors upon arrival in Yobe and Borno States.
- Initiate, review, and collate security incident reports for each field site.
- Implement, maintain, and regularly update the COOPI staff and visitors list, Security Communications Tree and SOPs as needed
- Ensure the communication equipment functions at all times (HF radio, sat phone, internet, phone lines). Follow-up on any calls made by satellite phone and radio
Staff and Vehicle Movement:
- In collaboration with the Travel Team, monitor movement and provide security guidance to international and national staff on the current situation in operational areas.
- Daily track and record all COOPI field movement within Yobe and Borno States. Maintain strong communication to report and record observations, information, and occurrences during staff movement
- Serve as focal point with drivers during interstate movement by tracking the location of all vehicles and staff and communicate with COOPI Country Logistic Coordinator.
- Regularly conduct field visits to assess field site compliance with safety and security procedure during field activities.
- Ensure vehicle and personal tracking systems are appropriate, fully resourced, and operational
Monitoring and Analysis:
- Collect information regarding politics and security in Yobe and Borno States as well as on safety and security issues concerning COOPI.
- Respond to security relevant incidents with information gathering and inform the CCOPI Country Logistic Coordinator and the Head of Mission
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Ensure that perimeter security staff (guards) have the capacities to perform their duties as per the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct monthly health and safety inspections such as, but not limited to: fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors and inspection of COOPI facilities in Yobe and Borno State
- Regularly inventory and stock as necessary hibernation kits, first aid kits, and vehicle safety kits; ensure that staff know what is in the kits and how and when to use them
- Submit regular contextual updates (weekly/monthly situational reports) to the Head of Mission and the Country Logistic coordinator.
- Work closely with COOPI field teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Take appropriate measures to secure COOPI premises, personnel, assets, and properties by regularly monitoring and control of COOPI existing security set-up.
- Check that facilities and equipment conform to security norms (closures and doorways are in a good state, open spaces lit up, buildings identified, fire extinguishers present, electrical installations buried, etc.).
- Review lodging options for staff in field locations, ensuring they meet COOPI standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a wide professional and personal network of influential actors and clearly communicate COOPI’s status and mission in Yobe and Borno States and across NE Nigeria.
- Build acceptance to facilitate continuity of current COOPI programs and any future humanitarian or development programming by liaising with local communities, local authorities and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the states.
- Coordinate regularly with the Head of Mission and the Country Logistic Coordinator on safety and security issues and fulfill all reporting requirements.
- Attend and represent COOPI at UN, Sector, and other meetings relating to access and security as appropriate, following guidance from Country Logistic Coordinator and the Head of Mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Bachelor Degree in Business Management or any other equivalent course
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in Logistics, Security within an iNGO
- Minimum of two years working in a security-sensitive environment
- Experience in data collection, collation, analysis, and report writing
- Fluency in English is required.
- Proven ability to plan and organize work and write clear and concise reports and communicate effectively (both in writing and verbally)
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Completed formal security management trainings
- Stable, moral, reliable and robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humour
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Knowledge of the geography and culture of Northeast Nigeria
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts.
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers)
- Knowledge of and adherence to NGO Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri)
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (CV (max 3 pages), Cover Letter (max 1 page), Minimum three qualified reference contacts) to: [email protected] specifying in the e-mail subject: “Application for Safety & Security Officer.
Note: Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Application Deadline: 12th October, 2017.