Creatrix Empire is a Strategic Digital agency based in Nigeria and UK. We have a diverse and creative team of experts in Digital Marketing, Web Design, Web Development, Mobile Applications, Photography, Branding, Video Production, and Music Production. We pride ourselves in our ability to satisfy the various needs of our clients. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Magazine Editor
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports Directly to: Operations Manager
- The Magazine editor is a communication specialist who plan, manage and produce magazines for our readers
- You will create editorial calendars for the website, develop story ideas, manage writers, edit content and manage the production process by the effective delegation of tasks
- Simply put, you shall take full charge of the quarterly production of the Uncut Xtra Magazine from conceptualization to content development, design and layout, proofreading, printing and distribution.
- Conceptualize and communicate the vision of every magazine edition across board
- Organize meetings with writers and designers to discuss and plan the features section of the magazine
- Send regular briefs to writers that include deadlines, writing style, etc.
- Research with the editorial team and generate list of possible cover stars and featured stars across Africa for each edition
- Commission features and stories from in-house writers or freelancers
- Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with each edition and its targeted audience’s preferences
- Manage writing staff and freelance content producers.
- Edit and re-write articles, some of which may be rejected or returned to the writer for revision
- Ensure that all feature articles comply with ethical codes of practice and legal guidelines Represent the magazine brand in relevant events, fairs and conferences
- Coordinate online or print publishing cycle and managing content areas
- Liaise with the Digital Marketer on content creation for blogs and vlogs for the magazine website
- Liaise with the Social Media Manager on content curation for the magazine social media pages
- Set publication standards and establishing goals and expectations
- Proofread, edit, rewrite and sub articles to meet publication standards and ensure it is ready to go to the press
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
- Plan and monitor budget allocation for the publishing of each edition
- Organize strategic meetings with editorial team from time to time to meet departmental KPIs
- Drive sponsorship, adverts and promotions for the magazine
- Drive collaborations with glam team for Cover star photoshoot for each edition.
- Develop realistic strategies for online and offline sales of published magazine edition
- Network actively at industry events.
- Attend photo shoots for cover stars and featured stars interviews
- Actively raise the profile of the publication
- Submit weekly report of all activities and deliverables
- Perform other task as assigned by the Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications / Journalism or related field (essential)
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience as a magazine editor.
Other Selection Criteria (skills, knowledge and experience):
- Knowledge of media production and communications
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to spell and delete jargon
- Has good understanding of content management systems
- Demonstrable experience in producing relevant content to target audience
- Able to nurture long-term relationships with key publication influencers
- Analytic thinker with strong conceptual and research skills
- Good market knowledge and a network of contacts with authors, writers and other content producers
- Organized, structured and in control: keeps track of multiple writers working on multiple stories
- Keenly able to accurately assess a situation or person and turn it into an advantage
- Able to understand and influence target audience
- Ability to work under pressure to meet productivity standards and deadlines
- Natural leader who displays strong decision-making and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Have interest in a range of topics
- Ability to think on the feet and respond to events as they happen
- Ability to understand complex subjects and explain them clearly to readers
- Ability to take constructive criticism.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline: 19th May, 2023.