Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
To drive DRC vehicles safely and efficiently in accordance with DTC policy and national safety rules and regulations, responsible for the vehicle to which he/she is assigned and the completion of log books and fuel, records, under the supervision of the Fleet Officer the Driver shall perform the following Responsibilities:
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date
- Support the Head Driver with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Supervisors.
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his supervisor. After consulting a mechanic, the supervisor will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Driver is to ensure DRC visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate /OND in Relevant field.
- A full and clean driving license
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- Should have 3-5 years’ experience of professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations.
- A certificate in Defensive driving from an established driving school/firm is an added advantage.
- Experience from working in an (I)NGO
- Hold a certificate in automobile mechanics is an added advantage
- Contract length: 3 months with possibility of extension
- Level: SB9 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover letters, indicating and explaining their suitability to the position applied for, and updated CV’s (no longer than four pages) in English and addressed to :
The Recruitment Manager,
No. 44 Karewa GRA Opposite Karewa Police Station,
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Please note: Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview
Application Deadline 28th October, 2017.