Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria invites applications from suitable qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Appointment Process Nº: LAGOS-GS04-01
Term Type: Indeterminate
Term Details: This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Nigeria
Department: Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos, Nigeria
Job Category: General Support
Level: General Support
Summary of Duties
- Under the general supervision of the Program manager, the driver, whose daily activities are managed by the Transport Coordinator, provides transportation services to the mission and its staff, provides delivery and messaging services for all mission’s program; ensures proper maintenance of the official vehicles, provides administrative, maintenance, and support services to the mission according to the policies of the mission. Completes other tasks if and, as required.
Area of Selection/Eligibility
- Open to applicants who are legal residents or citizens who are legally able to work in Nigeria, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Please note that the Deputy High Commission of Canada does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
- The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
- Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Completed Senior Secondary School and possessing a (SSCE) or General Certificate of Education (GCE) or equivalent.
- English (oral and written)
- A valid, clean driver’s license
- A minimum of five years recent (Recent is defined as within the last 10 years) professional experience as a driver for a company, diplomatic missions, NGO (non-government organization) or UN agencies.
- Experience in delivering correspondence to government and other offices.
- The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to a written examination, an oral interview, role-play and practical tests.
- Thorough knowledge of the city of Lagos and its periphery
- Basic knowledge of mechanics and maintenance procedures
- Smart phone literacy including finding locations using internet maps
- Knowledge of states surrounding Lagos State;
- Knowledge of local regulations on driving, road, car and road safety;
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively with a high level of details in a high-paced work environment;
- Honesty, Discretion and professional integrity
- Commitment to Public Confidence;
- Effective interpersonal relationships and respect;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- Heavy duty/Armoured vehicle driving license/training
- Availability and willingness to work overtime when required.
- Availability and willingness to travel occasionally and on short notice.
- May be required to work shifts as determined by the employer.
- Able to do physical tasks such as lift heavy boxes, clean vehicles, etc.
- Successful completion of a tactical or evasive driving course from a recognized training institution
- Computer literacy (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Basic MS Office Suite, Outlook)
- Knowledge of French language (oral and written).
- Operational Requirements
Conditions of Employment
- To be eligible to legally work and live in Nigeria
- Able to obtain and maintain a Government of Canada Reliability Status Clearance Please note that the Reliability Status Clearance must be maintained throughout your employment at the Embassy as failure to do so may result in dismissal. This includes a criminal and credit background check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid permanent Nigerian Driver’s License.
- Must be able to meet the medical requirements as defined by the employer. Successful candidate(s) may be required to undergo a medical evaluation
Salary range: NGN 2,232,879.00 per anum
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply(English)
Click here to apply(French)
- Candidates are also required to upload a Cover Letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process
Application Deadline: 10th June, 2019.