The Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria invites applications from qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant
Job Ref: 3838
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Vacancy type: Term/Indeterminate/Emergency
Term Details: This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Nigeria.
Summary of position
- Under general supervision of the Immigration Program Manager or an Officer, supports the delivery of IRCC Programs.
- The incumbent will perform various interrelated administrative and clerical tasks including: administrative processing of applications, support to clients, promoting program integrity, assisting an Officer or other related work within the Migration Office.
- The incumbent will be required to exercise initiative in organizing work, tracking resources, and resolving client enquiries.
- Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree or a Higher National Diploma (HND) from a recognized university / polytechnic with a major in a discipline related to the job requirements (e.g.Human Resources Management, Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Political Science, Computer Studies, Sociology, Business International Relations, International Studies, Foreign Languages And Literature).
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Minimum one (1) year recent work experience within the last (3) three years in a professional, English speaking office environment;
- Minimum one (1) year work experience within the last (3) three years dealing with third country nationals in professional and customer service environment.
- Extensive professional experience using computer based applications, word processing and spreadsheet software, electronic mail and other web-based applications. This will be tested during the process.
- The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Computer literacy and proven proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power point) and internet browsers.
- Knowledge of World Events and Current Affairs, specifically related to Migration issues.
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and exercise sound judgement and decision making on a variety of complex and interrelated issues.
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation.
- Ability to plan and organize work flows, set and manage priorities; with sufficient attention to detail and ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to work effectively in a high pressure environment and meet deadlines.
- Professional integrity, cross-cultural sensitivity and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong focus on client service.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- Ability to communicate (speaking and writing) in French.
- Experience working with IRCC systems.
- Knowledge of Canadian immigration law and policy.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required.
Condition(s) of Employment
- Successful candidates must possess a valid work authorization or otherwise be permitted to work legally in Nigeria by the closing date and for the duration of the employment period;
- Successful candidates must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Reliability Status (RS).
- The Deputy High Commission of Canada will not sponsor third country nationals for work permits. The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to obtaining Reliability Status (RS). Proof of right to work and copies of educational and any specified professional qualifications will be required and verified. Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory references.
Area of selection:
- Open to Locally Engaged Employees of the Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos and the High Commission of Canada in Abuja and external applicants who are legally eligible to work in Nigeria and who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Applicants must be resident in Lagos at the time of hiring or be willing to relocate at own expense. Please note that the Deputy High Commission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
- The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community.
- Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
NGN 6,090,382 per annum
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Instructions / Procedure
- Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Candidates must explicitly demonstrate in the application how they meet the essential language, education and experience qualifications. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
Eligibility Instructions (to be included in cover letter)
- An assessment question has been included for candidates to complete and include in their cover letters along with the application. In order to be considered for the position, please note that candidates must answer the below question. Please include the information in paragraph form. Responses must be your original work, and cannot use text from the internet or other sources. Applications using copied text will be disqualified.
- You will be assessed on your spelling, grammar and effective communication on the application and further along in the process if you’re screened in. Applications not including a response to this question will be screened out.
** Applications that do not include the Candidate Assessment Question will not be considered.
Question #1 (750 words maximum)
- Please explain the difference between an omission of fact and a deliberate submission of false information made during the submission of a visa application. Please explain why this distinction is important when analysing a visa application and what are the competing interests to consider when doing so.
- Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as mobile browsers are not supported by our on-line portal. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Deputy High Commission of Canada in Lagos which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
Application Deadline: 19th January, 2020