The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Office Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Institution: Community Court Of Justice, Ecowas
Directorate: Administration & Finance
Division: Office of the Director of Administration & Finance
Line Supervisor: Director Of Administration & Finance
Supervising: Office Aide
- Reports to the Director of Administration & Finance (DAF). Implements and supports the communication and documentation activities of the office of the DAF, which manages a component of a major programme and which is normally organized into several interdependent units. Relieves the DAF of selected paperwork, reporting and office details.
- Responsible for considerable coordination and follow-through with delegated monitoring of deadlines.
Role And Responsibilities
- Management of the Supervisor’s schedule: receive and welcome visitors; organise and manage appointments; keep the Supervisor’s timetable; make telephone calls; verify in-coming calls to ensure their importance and possibility to respond; manage the Director’s diary and schedule;
- Administrative management: organise meetings; receive, draft, type and make follow-up on administrative letters; meeting room bookings; provide supplies to the office;
- Management of mail: create a recording system of in-coming and out-going mails; ensure archiving and filing of documents; manage documents (in-coming and out-going, filing of letters); ensure follow-up on documents submitted to the Director for signature;
- Demonstrate experience in word processing in English and French and/or Portuguese in accordance with established standards;
- Knowledge of and technical competence to apply post editing techniques and practices for the preparation and production of documents according to ECOWAS policy.
- Undertake any other duty assigned by the superiors.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- HND or equivalent in Secretarial Studies or Administration from a related field from a recognized higher institution;
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience in administrative, secretarial services;
- Demonstrates sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in the absence of direction.
- Knowledge of related computer software and relevant ECM filing systems and correspondence-related procedures, guidelines and processes to preparing and using administrative documents and templates;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to provide suggestions based on own observations that will improve the way work is accomplished and confidently lead on their implementation as requested;
- Demonstrated experience working effectively as a team member, occasionally leading on discussions and/or replacing other leading roles as required;
- Ability to work as part of a team in articulating the needs of clients and stakeholders;
- Ability to manage own time effectively and meet service standards and objectives related to assigned responsibilities.
- Understands how to access internal resources or services to enhance cultural awareness and actively seeks to improve multicultural skills when interacting with others with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, especially within west Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand, internalize and develop diversity management skills in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies;
- Ability to recognize preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals and to successfully adopt inclusive and culturally appropriate behaviours;
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organization mandate and its functions, particularly those of own institution/agency;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities (e.g. standards and rules) and work tools (e.g. technology);
- Demonstrated ability to use computers with advanced word-processing skills including a working knowledge of spreadsheets (e.g. excel), inter/intranet, email and social media;
- Ability to read/listen and understand semi-routine instructions and carry them out with limited supervision;
- Ability to produce clear, concise, logical and grammatically correct written material in English or French and to have equal verbal language proficiency;
- Ability to address issues with others in a candid, timely and straight-forward fashion;
- Ability to organize semi-routine work tasks, to identify solutions to address conflicting priorities or uncertainty in carrying out new or changing tasks;
- Ability to develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve these goals;
- Ability to understand and contribute to team or work unit goals as directed by supervisor;
- Ability to work within well-established office practices and balance multiple tasks within set deadlines.
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards for emailing and other routine tasks and to keep records, and information pertaining to assigned work in accordance with rules and regulations;
- Ability to support the team by keeping abreast of the team’s initiatives, events and needs, assisting team leaders as required;
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance and to regularly and independently engage in self-assessment activities (e.g. self-reflection, obtain feedback);
- Ability to develop and maintain skills and expertise required to perform in the role effectively e.g. relevant technologies, professional standards, and relevant regulations/policies.
- Excellent work ethics, positivity, motivation, flexibility and problem-solving skills to carry out tasks associated with position;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve semi-routine problems and make recommendations to improve the quality/quantity of services to clients;
- Ardent desire to help others in a variety of circumstances of relevance to own work area and to refer to appropriate person for further assistance as required;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS procedures relevant to tasks and demonstrate understanding of associated systems, processes, rules and/or standards sufficiently to explain their necessity and to identify errors and consequences.
- Excellent numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data following clear and simple instructions;
- Demonstrated ability to challenge established procedures with a view of improving performance and/or outputs;
- Detail oriented with an ability to detect and correct errors and to keep accurate records of simple indicators/information;
- Ability to gather and arrange information and data in a simple and understandable manner.
- Ability to provide accurate and complete information to supervisor/co-workers/clients as requested, using good judgement, tact and diplomacy;
(G5-UA 25,527.53 USD 40,277.34)/ (G6-UA30,178.98 USD 47,616.39) / (G7- UA 34,933.43 USD 55,117.96).
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: [email protected]
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more Information
Application Deadline: 20th September, 2019